Spark plugs

Tim L

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone have problems with spark plugs?
I am using NGK B8ES but the plug on the left hand side only lasts a few miles then my XS becomes a single. I change the plug on the left and it is okay again.
It is an XS2 so the left hand side is the one with the choke but that is all that is different between the 2 sides.
I am using the original alternator with all new wiring loom and regulator/rectifier, coils and condensers. The system is charging at over 14.6 Volts.
I am seriously considering buying shares in NGK.
Any advice would be gratefully recieved.

Tim.

I had a similar issue. Brand new coils and re-syncing my carbs solved the problem. My left side plug is a little darker than the right which leads me to believe I'm running a little rich on that side. I plan on adjusting my carbs a little more with my homemade manometer. Otherwise, she's running fine now.

BTW, I got tired of driving 15 miles to buy new plugs. The local Autozone had Champion plugs (#65 I believe) and they work perfect. At $1.99 ea, I couldn't beat it. I think you can get an upgraded Champion plug for a buck more. Copper core I believe but don't quote me on that one.

Good luck brother!

Crap! I just saw that you are in the UK. Your local auto parts store should have the Champion plugs...I hope.

What are you gapping the plugs at? The original ignitions are pretty weak and I think the earlier ones are even weaker. Plug gap spec for your model is a very small .020"-.023". If you're running .028" like the later models spec, maybe it just can't handle that. You might also consider going one step hotter on the plugs to a #7.

I have read a couple of the other threads in the garage section and there are quite a few opinions on whether to change to a hotter running plug, say B7ES.
I am using what is recommended by NGK for the XS2.
Is it worth considering a change?
I am going to drop the engine out for a total re-build in a few weeks and want to have it all running reasonably well before I do so I am pretty sure I will have a running unit after the refit. Once she is running properly, a few weeks to get some miles on her will help locate all the leaks and any other parts needed.
I need to start sourcing bearings, seals, gaskets and oversized rings. Any suggestions for reasonably priced parts.

Early models didn't spec the "P" type, just the plain "B". With the different rods and piston configuration in the 256 motor, I'm not sure the "P" style would clear? Maybe it would, I just don't know for sure.

I did a bit of investigating today and have some information that may be of use.
I phoned NGK technical help desk and the guy thinks my problem is definitely plug fouling by means of unburnt fuel getting up between the electrode and insulator inside the actual cylinder. Not much shows in the way of a wet plug but it gets up there and gives the electrons an easier path than jumping the gap.
Using a hotter plug, say a 7, can be bad for the engine. Because it burns hotter it can get too hot, ignite the fuel without a spark so pre-ignition and overheating may occur, damaging the engine.
Iridium plugs can sometimes reduce the problem as the design allows for some burning off of fuel in and around the electrode and the gap is not so accessible for unburnt fuel.
I may blank off the choke to see if that is causing the fouling. Alternatively it may be time to do the engine overhaul. 50000 miles without any major work may be the cause.
Do later model head, side casings, barrels, etc fit the XS2?

Hi, I've had a similar problem with the RH cylinder, when i took the plug out it was really black and sooty. Chucked another plug in and it seems to be OK, I havent been able to give it a good run as its not registered yet. Just given it a maiden after about a year. I dont know how it ran as i got it parts finished from eBay. Going to try and sync the carbs because there running rich, but the air filters and exhaust arent stock so i'm trying to make it as good as possible. I dont want to chuck loads of money at the bike until it gets an MOT and a V5.

I had a problem with my carbs when I changed the air filters and exhaust.
It is an XS2 so the carbs aren't linked. One size up on mains, pilots and one notch up on the needles seems to have done the trick.
I have a pair of linked carbs from a 79 and another pair from an 82 so will put them on when I have done the engine.

i have 1980xs and i had problems were my spark plugs would not last more then a 5 or 6 short rides...once i put a set of new plugs the bike would start on the first kick and then at one point as the plug got older i had to kick it 15 times. The plugs were all black on the white insulator......What i did was change my plugs to NGK BP6ES a hotter plug so the carbon would burn off faster...second i readjusted the mixing screws on the carbas to 3 turns from the bottom....then readjusted my idle slide doors on the carbs to 11/64" open... so far its alot better.

XS650 SHOP is really useful but very pricey for some parts.
For example, Allens performance charge a quarter of what XS650 shop does for jets.

I doubt one step hotter on the plugs will hurt your engine.
Is your ignition stock? The stock coils are rated at about 8000 volts at 4000 rpms Thats when new. A 38 + year old coil won't be as hot.
I might suggest getting new coils. Stock replacements will work. Getting hotter coils work better. 30,000 volt output is a good place to be.
The hotter coil will improve starting, run better at all rpms, get a bit more power from a cleaner burn, and the plugs won't foul out as easy.
So hotter coil, hotter plugs and your bike will run better.

I think I am going to raid my secret stash of cash and buy a Pamco ignition unit and new coil so , hopefully, things may get a bit better and I may get a cleaner burn.
Does anybody have experience of the Pamco?
Is it good?
What is the best coil to use with it?

I just got the PAMCO kit from Mikesxs.com it was Part #14-0901 for my 1975 and I couldn't be happier. It was 140.00 usd. I calculated how much money I spend in beer per week; I didn't drink any for one month and my PAMCO was paid for (and I lost a little weight). I now can cross ignition problems off my list- GOOD LUCK ON YOUR PROJECT.

I think you will get quite a few positive responces about the Pamco ignition. Many satified customers, I'm one. I highly reccomend it.
On Pamcopete's ignition site has has a listing on the different coils and how just swapping coils improves the milage. Milage increases indicates more power, cleaner burning.
www.yamahaxs650.com
Its under the Iridium Plug test.
Mike's stock replacement for the 80 up coil is better than the points coils, I have the green monster, works well. The Ultimate coil is the best one.

I think you will get quite a few positive responces about the Pamco ignition. Many satified customers, I'm one. I highly reccomend it.
On Pamcopete's ignition site has has a listing on the different coils and how just swapping coils improves the milage. Milage increases indicates more power, cleaner burning.
www.yamahaxs650.com
Its under the Iridium Plug test.
Mike's stock replacement for the 80 up coil is better than the points coils, I have the green monster, works well. The Ultimate coil is the best one.

+1
:thumbsup:

Back