SPARKS STRIPPED THREAD! What size Thread Chaser?

adi1974

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I made a school boy error it would seem. Was trying to do a compression test on my xs650 with tester that I'd bought years ago but never used. I thought it was a bit stiff because it was new / copper but when I checked it had ruined the threads on the block (Spark Plugs holes). ARRGGGHHH!!!

I just read about "Thread chasers". Sounds like they might do the trick in restoring the thread without an engine pull / rebuild. There are different sized ones depending on spark plug size but I cant for the life of me find out which size to get.

Are XS650 sparks 14mm? 12 or 10? (is it measured by the socket size or the thread? Confused and worried! Please help.

If anyone knows where to got a chaser in the UK aswell that'd be rad!

Thanks guys

Eh.... you're going to get a lot of little pieces of aluminum in your jugs, if you haven't already. There goes your bore and now you're spending a lot more once you pull off the head.

i have one here, m14x1.25

a good shop vac would probably suck all them shavings out of there, onely problem is, if the threads are buggered enough, you might have to pull the head and thread from inside out.

Pretty negative. I've spent most the night reading quite positive threads about using thread chasers and if that doesnt work a helicoil but you seem to be on the doom and gloom.

I'm pretty open minded about it so I don't mind, I just wanna do what's best
Without over reacting / overspending. Any other opinions?

Jeg's sells a spark plug thread chaser that cuts the threads from the inside out without pulling the head.
It works with a collet type expanding thread that pulls all the metal shavings out with the cutter.
Leo

Thanks cdn! Well what im thinking is, try a reverse thread chaser first, if that doesn't work. Helicoil, engine out heads off. Surely for the price of the thread chaser it's
Gotta be worth a shot first though? It was running fine before so loathed to strip if I can get away with it. Magnets, grease and compressed aid to keep the swarf at bay seems to be the consensus. What do you think?

^How many threads are actually stripped? If it's just the first couple or so, use the device Leo mentioned and forget about it (fuggetabootit). You didn't crank the other thing down the whole depth did you? Use a lighter touch this time...

lots of grease 0n thread chaser and you will catch most of the chavings ,vac out and the rest will blow out the ex valve

Sounds more positive. I think about a 3rd of the threads is damaged (kicking myself).

14mm thread chaser sound right?

It would be better to start it from inside if possible, like Leo suggested. That way there's less risk of having two sets of threads... Not to be positive or negative; just precise, and accurate ,and most beneficial with least risk :)

But -to be positive -this is eminently fixable, if you use a sensitive touch and a wise approach, and it should be fine thereafter.

To be even more positive, mistakes are a positive thing. I never buggered spark plug holes, but I buggered something or other similar enough in my distant past that it taught me how to solve this problem that you now face... How else can you learn?

Last edited:
Yes, that looks right. When I read about this technique a long time ago I think I remember people saying the hard part was in getting it started. I'd just say use a light touch and make sure it's parallel to the sides of the hole while you try to start it in.

a few tiny shavings in the cylinder won't hurt, they are soft aluminum anyways, they will be either burned, blown out, or scraped against the cylinder until they disappear. A lot might mess things up, but a few are harmless.

i just fixed my project bike head last night, but the head was off. they both work, but one side is missing about the first 3 threads in the hole...luckily the plug still screws in nice and tightens up real nice.

Back