Speedbump in motor rebuild.

suthpaw22

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I posted this on my build thread a few hours back and didn't get any feedback so I thought maybe I should post it as a question itself.

I'm working on my first rebuild and things have gone pretty well so far for the most part. I'm in the tear down stage to clean it up and put new gaskets and all on. I'm following my clymar manual pretty closely and for the most part things have been detailed fairly well. I'm down to oppening up the crankcase, I think, but upon tapping it with my mallet its not budging. Have I overlooked something??

Attachments

• IMG_0459.JPG
    IMG_0459.JPG
    142 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_04600909.JPG
    IMG_04600909.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 145
It could be my eyes.... the first pic, dead center above the lower gear, appears to still be bolted together. Could just be my eyes.... make sure ALL bolts, and nuts are removed before you beat on that thing

x2 The nut located behind the clutch pack is still on....
You will want to remove your rear cam chain guide - 4 x bolts + dipstick to make it easier as well, saves them getting caught up.

Cheers.

Last edited:
+3 triple check all bolts, nuts. They are together pretty good. I just split one that is just going to be a mock up motor so I didn't care that much but I had to get pretty persuasive before it separated. Hammer and aluminum drift. I think heat helps, the halves are sealed with Yamabond which doesn't want to split. I saw some pretty creative XS650 saunas to warm up engines. lots of aluminum foil was popular.

Thanks hotdog. I'll get that off in the morning. I thought I had removed everything that needed to be according to the manual. I may have overlooked that.

Gary, I can imagine that yamabond would take a little coaxing

I've seen a pic that's floating around where all those bolts are numbered. I'd just count them up to insure they were all out. I'd probably also tag each bolt with a piece of tape with its number on it. And yes it seems like a lot of fun pulling apart two big Yamabonded pieces. But they seem to say it's not too difficult....

that nut is definately still there, and definately holding you up. as stated, remove 'er and good luck :)

Since your pictures show your motor in the up right position there are bunch bolts acorn nuts on studs your pictures dont show and the best way to split a case is lifting the bottom off of the top my observation.

lift it off up-side-down, and re-assemble up-side down. I didnt figure that out till 1/2 dozen hammer marks on th top of my cases. the tranny gears seat in the top side, and the 'dog' sliders are atached to the top side.

When working on cages I would make a cardboard box and poke holes in it to hold pushrods to keep them in order. I use the same thing when pulling things apart. I draw a skect of it on box and poke hole where bolts go. All so eazyer to carry around to clean them and stuff.

Back