speedo slow response

cbuckle

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, the speedo on my 74' TX650A bike has a very slow response when riding. The TAC reports the travelled millage correctly, but takes minutes before registering the correct speed. Also when I done riding, for example just parked it after riding at 60 mph, it would take several minutes to return to 0 mph. The TAC appears to be operating fine so I'm assuming the cable is fine. Any suggestions? From what I can tell you really can't get inside of these units. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1448.JPG
    IMG_1448.JPG
    175.8 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
2M thanks for the instructions. It really looks complicated to service this unit. my speedo has really low millage so I think I will just leave it the way it is. Thanks

There *may* be a way to fix this, but I'd give it a 50/50 chance.

Remove the pointer, and dribble a single drop of lightweight penetrating oil down the pointer's shaft. It should wick/flow around/past the shaft and into the damper cup. Reattach the pointer, and move it full sweep to get the penetrating oil to loosen up the goo.

If you want to pursue this, look into member 650Skull's albums for later model instrument servicing...

Back