Spending last day with old dog named angus

angus67

Welder's penetrate deeper!!
Reaction score
Angus is a good dog. Sweet. My main pup.
I'm spending the day with him. He has a dr app at 6pm for what will probably be "the big sleep".
In the last year, large fatty lumps have appeared on him, all over. Arthritic joints. and he isn't eating as much as before. This last week he has been having trouble breathing. Like asthma attack. And coughing up foam. Googling foam comes up as a fungal infection in the lungs. I'm sure the vet could clear it up, but what of the lumps? I'm think its cancer, and curing the infection is only going to lengthen his pain.
He is 13 yrs old, that's 91 in dog years. He has always been my #1, don't think he should suffer anymore. I'm watching him as I type. He looks at me knowing what's coming. My other dog, Daisy, looks at me with concern. Dogs know things.
I have so much to do today , but choose to spend it with angus.
Spend a few minutes today , dog, cat, rat ,possum, whatever. Just give them a special treat of forbidden lunch meat, and pat them on the head, they don't live forever.
IMG_0045_zpssgrj5pjm.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
We have lost many more, but angus stayed with me when my wife was a otr trucker for 7 years. tomorrow will be hard. we're going to the family cabin for the fourth, staying the night. We have to take daisy with us for fear if we leave her home alone, she will run off looking for angus. Not only that, but fear she might dig him up. We are burying him here. We have a pet cemetery. A pet turkey, two cats.
And seeing my daisy and not my angus will be a killer, all weekend. God help me if I drink too much and get all emotional, wich was what I did when my neice moved away to Colorado.
What did you do and if you could spend the last day with a loved pet, what are some things you would do?

Dogs are good pals. Sometimes you take them for granted. It hurts to see them go. Just gotta do what's best for them.

Beyond all doubt, this is the hardest part of caring for our pets, but they depend on us to know when it's time and carry through. We've done it more than once over the years - we've had dogs all our married life, almost 44 years - and I'm not too proud to say that I cry like a goddam baby -

We have 3 dogs. Chico has been with us since he was a pup of 8 weeks and that was 10 yrs ago last Feb. He is "my" dog and has been in my lap or on my shoulder almost every time I sit in my chair. When I'm home he is nearby. When it's time I'm sure I will baul like crazy for a couple days. I will for the other dogs too but less so. They are your furry kids as much as your own kids. Death in the family is never easy.

good news! Dr said the lumps are just fatty tissue, if it was cancer, angus would lose weight very quickly, and look faded. his coat is still shiny, he still has a gleam in his eyes(even if they are a touch cloudy).
vet checked for anything caught in his throat that would make him cough like that, his heart sounds good. he said angus has kennel cough, and the heat isn't helping either. its been in the upper 80's for a few weeks. been 90+ for the last 3 days.
So we got anti-biotics, and rimydal for his arthritis.
we will see how he does in few weeks. fingers crossed.
I know we are still on borrowed time, and when its time, he will tell us.

Gotta love news like that. Give him a piece of bologna and tell em it's from azman...

angus67,
Thank God it wasn't his time yet. It sucks that "man's best friend" doesn't live anywhere near as long as the man. Same with our cats. One of ours is 17. Sometimes 9 lives just aren't enough. All ya can do is treat 'em sweet & love 'em while you can...

good news! Dr said the lumps are just fatty tissue, if it was cancer, angus would lose weight very quickly, and look faded. his coat is still shiny, he still has a gleam in his eyes(even if they are a touch cloudy).
vet checked for anything caught in his throat that would make him cough like that, his heart sounds good. he said angus has kennel cough, and the heat isn't helping either. its been in the upper 80's for a few weeks. been 90+ for the last 3 days.
So we got anti-biotics, and rimydal for his arthritis.
we will see how he does in few weeks. fingers crossed.
I know we are still on borrowed time, and when its time, he will tell us.

My eyes were welling up. :(
I'm very happy to read this post.:thumbsup:
My eyes are dry now :)
Having a pet friends and family get old is tough even harder then seeing our own demise it seems.
Enjoy your buddy as long as you can. Ed

so glad to hear that Angus is holding his own.

Its only at times like these that we suddenly realise that our best buddies won't always be around. Hopefully Angus will be around for a long time to come yet.:thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing Angus, We're all just human, especially the pets. My daughter's dog lives here now.

Thanks guys, makes me appreciate the other little things in life.
I hope his cough clears up soon

Hang in there ANGUS
He looks like my Norman that lasted until 15 yrs old and his eyes just said every day help me. So I had to put him down.
I have had so many dogs and they are all great memories and sometime we get a quick laugh out of some of the crazy things they did. Its like loosing a great friend when I have to let one go. They make me laugh protect my house play with my kids and just a great buddy.
So hang in there a injoy your buddy while you can

Good dog Angus.
Each day with our furry best friends is a blessing and to be cherished.
Kennel cough is so debilitating. I hope Angus is putting a smile on your families faces for a long time yet.
Mark & Cody (Ridgeback, 8 1/2 years).

my heart totally goes out to ya and Angus especially, they are truly our best friend. I recently lost my best friend of 17 years, to stomach cancer, thought i fed her the best food , I did not . sold my truck and racked up my credit card to try to save her , it did not! I now have my best friend insured trough trupanion but there are others, it saves you alot of money on vet bills. In saying that I saved $9500 on the first six months of being on the plan, for replacement of both rear knee joints on my beloved pooch. I cant read if you guys would even consider this for your best friend, I did because you can loose everything but you dog will always give you love and loyalty and be by your side in a shit storm. btw not a sales pitch guys it just a good way of not putting your best buddy to sleep because you cant afford to save them, just sayin.

Back