spline on gearshift rod gone

motorbikerx

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
been that way for years tried glueing with Araldite, tried filleting the adjustment bolt to get more clamp,....even tried wrestling...drilled it and banged a roll pin in but its broken or something.
welding it on?

Yeah, like hard_y_rd said. Theres a C clip on the shifter shaft under the left cover, then open up the left (clutch side) cover and a few scres and she shifter shaft should slide out. You can replace is with one from MikesXS or a used one. I don't think there's any differnce between years.

Really! It's that easy is it? What about the kick starter tho. I've always shied away from going into that side of the engine for fear of the kickstart spring unravelling and never being able to start my bike again , I do have some gear jump out issues that I live with and ride around , one day guess I gotta bite the bullet and fix the gearbox problem properly
Problem is Id rather be riding it than fixing it, and once I commit to pulling the bike off the road I know it won't stop there....

The kickstart shaft can stay in the motor if you are careful taking the cover off. Not a real big deal if you pull it out either. The spring won't unravel. Just drain the oil first before you pull the cover off. That shift shaft is a pretty easy fix. As for the gearbox pretty straight forward but more time consuming.

Ok thanks, wonders if changing the shift shaft would fix my hard shifting into third and gear jump out on over run. Heard there's an adjustment in that area that just might save me pulling the motor out? A miracle in that area would be nice, gee the answers come real quick on this forum!

the adjustment for gear changes is connected to the shift shaft. It will be worth your while, but you need a manual..........im off to find you a picture of the right side with out the cover.

Wow! Thanks heaps! That's a great link to the clutch, I suspect mine is on the way out after 39 years service, might as well replace it too while Im in there, but today I wanna go for a ride so a new roll pins going back thru the drilled hole in the lever/shaft, or maybe a small hi tensile bolt n nut may be stronger than a roll pin as they're hollow.

Long time ago when I was broke I came up with a temporary fix for a similar problem. Bolt the shifter in place and tighten it as best you can. Then drill a hole lengthwise with the shaft, right where the gearshift clamps to the splined part. I did this with a 1/8" bit. You wind up with a 'groove' in the shaft and in the gearshift lever when this is completed. Loosen the clamp bolt. Then use a hard steel pin, like a needle bearing, that's a tap fit in the hole and tighten the bolt back down. A roll pin is too soft and will crush. This got me through about 2 years of dirt riding on a Honda SL125.

Back