Splitting the crankcase

Brett

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I split the crankcase last night to fit an overdrive 5th gear and new timing chain. It was the first time I'd done one, so getting it ready to split was a bit tricky. A couple of tough nuts slowed me down, but a borrowed impact gun made light work of them.

I was expecting a lot of sweat and bashing with a mallet to get the cases apart, but instead, I used a small trolley jack. (First make sure all 18 nuts are off!)

I put the engine on the ground, and placed the trolley jack at the back of the engine. Attached the lower rear engine mount to the axle of the trolley jack, and the upper rear mount to lifting cup of the jack (I used a chain at the bottom and a roof rack strap at the top. Keep the straps short so you don't run out of travel on the jack). A few light pumps of the jack and the cases easily came apart (Don't open it more than 16th-8th" at this point or there'a risk of bending the long connecting studs). Then go to the front end, and a few light taps up on the bolts (numbers 4 and 6 I think) gets the cases split apart.

That's how I did it anyway, hope it's of help.

another way to skin a cat. some one will use it. I can picture it working, so, maybe?
Glad you got it apart. I found it easier to re-assemble upside down. even shows it in the manual.

Back