Spokes for MikesXS rims on two cafe racer builds?

jabcb

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
A friend & I are building two cafe racers this winter/spring.

Both are Suzuki two strokes and we are planning on using black MikesXS XS650 rims.

Friends bike: 1973 GT250
stock wheels: 1.6x18 front & 1.85x18 rear
want to upgrade to: 1.85x18 front & 2.15x18 rear

Will use stock disk brake/hub front & stock drum brake rear.

Looking at MikesXS: http://www.mikesxs.net/products-56.html#products
Am considering:
rim #34-3181 is "H 1.85x18 36 hole shouldered aluminum rim Black"for the GT250 front
rim #34-3182 is "H 2.15x18 36 hole shouldered aluminum rim Black"for the GT250 rear

My bike: 1972 GT550
stock wheels: 1.85x19 front & 2.15x18 rear
Want to upgrade to: 2.15x18 front & rear

Will use stock 4LS double-drum brake front & stock drum brake rear.

Am considering:
rim #34-3182 is "H 2.15x18 36 hole shouldered aluminum rim Black"for the GT550 front & rear

Anyone know what spokes we can use for either bike? (Either stock or MikesXS)
Or do we need to go with custom Buchanan spokes?

I did some T500 wheels using Mike's spokes and they worked OK. I used their standard 18" spokes for the rear (19-0050, 19-0060 in stainless). For the front drum, I used the XS1 front spokes, but this was on a 19" rim. You're going to need to do some spoke measuring to see what you've got. The Mike's 18" rears are about 150mm long. The XS1 drum spokes are about 160mm long. I'm thinking you may be able to do your rears with Mike's spokes, not so sure about the fronts. If you're not set on stainless, this eBay seller may have some that would work. They offer many different lengths and the price seems reasonable. 36 spoke sets are a few dollars less but I like the 40s so I get a couple spares. I've gotten bad spokes (buggered threads) from several different makers so a couple spares is a good thing .....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321095629179?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

So, the question arises, exactly how do you measure your spoke lengths? That can be difficult to answer because there seems to be no "etched in stone" standard. Different manufacturers seem to measure to different points at the top of the spoke. Pretty much all start from the very bottom or tip of the threaded end but where they measure to at the top can differ. Most go to the bottom of the bend at the top but some go to the top of it or to the center of the spoke diameter. And then still others may go to somewhere on the head (top, bottom, or center). The most common method seems to be to the bottom of the bend. In fact, they make special rulers for this. They have a tear drop shaped hole at the beginning of the measuring scale to hook the spoke head into. This is a 650 rear which, as I mentioned, measures about 150mm long .....

SpokeRuler.jpg

SpokeRuler4.jpg

SpokeRuler3.jpg

Hello Jabcb: Many of us like pictures of projects even though they are not XS.

And thanks 5twins, every time I log on there is fresh information to learn. Who know there was a knack to measure spokes?

Thanks for the info.

Just put the XS650 in winter storage at a local vintage bike shop.
Probably will post some questions in the spring after I get a closer look at it.

We are at the can-this-be-done stage on the spokes & MikesXS wheels.
The details on spokes is enough to give me a headache — just learned that there are different spoke patterns.

My friend’s GT250 is first up & we are just about ready to reassembly the motor.
He works lots of hours at his job, so the project is going slower that he would like.

Am currently collecting motor rebuild parts for the GT550, so it will be a while till much happens there.

Have my bike pictures on PhotoBucket under the same user name (jabcb).
Also have a GT250 build album there with just a few pics:
http://s1143.photobucket.com/user/jabcb/slideshow/Suzuki%20GT250%20cafe%20build

Yes, there are different spoke patterns but most motorcycle wheels, and the ones you'll be dealing with use what's called a "cross two" pattern. That simply means that any spoke on one flange crosses two others from that same flange on it's way to the rim. Most 650 wheels and the T500 wheels I did use it. On 650 wheels, an exception is the 16" rear. It uses a "cross one" pattern.

Take plenty of pics for reference of your wheels before disassembling them. Also measure and record the rim offset to the hub. Yes, your new rim width may differ slightly from the original but with some simple math, you can adjust your offset numbers. You should find the spoke on each side of the valve stem to be an inner, one running from each flange. I mark the hub holes for these two spokes and that gives me a correct starting point for the new ones. Here's a T500 rear. Note the inner spokes next to the valve stem and the "two cross" pattern .....

Thanks. That's a bit of a relief.
Looking at your pic + explanation does help.

My part of this task is to get the right spokes & my friend will do the respoking.
I have a few spare Suzuki wheels, so that should help with the reference you mentioned.

Back