Sportster Shocks..Anybody usin 'em?

bpd106

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anybody know if Sportster shocks will fit on my 81 XS650 Special II? Reason I ask is that I have always been into HD's and usually have a line on good used HD parts. I am starting to chop/build on the XS that I bought last spring, so some minor modifications to make them fit is no big deal. Just looking for an alternative to the Rebel shocks for lowering purposes, and I'm not into rigids, although, I'll admit they look really kick ass, my kidneys and back think otherwise!

Thanks!

I'm currently running what I believe are sportster shocks on my '79 SF, but no idea what year or model (I know naff all about HD, being an English boy I naturally graduate towards... err, Japanese bikes?). Bought them a couple of years ago used but in mint condition from a guy who told me they were off a Harley (and I believe everything I'm told). Bottom eye was a fraction too wide - I filed about 1 mm off the width to make them fit, can't remember if I had to swap the eye bushings. I was led to believe that the standard Harley shocks were not regarded too highly and were commonly upgraded, which is why they are fairly plentiful. That said, they seem to work OK on the XS. I don't think they are any shorter than the standard XS shocks though.

Ady

Using Progressive 11.5" 412 series shocks from a HD sportster using 90/130 spring set and no spring covers. Needed to order up the metric bushing kit from Progressive ($15), otherwise direct fit. Just watch chain clearances as I'm not running a stock chain guard.

b.

I know this thread is ancient, but got any links to these shocks? Im looking for some. Only ones Im finding are around 200 plus dollars.

Back