1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Spraymax 2K high gloss or semi matte?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muskallunge, Apr 19, 2018.

1. muskallunge

muskallunge XS650 Enthusiast

I'm prepping to paint my frame now that it's almost riding weather here in Montana. First timer but I'm not looking for pro results. Read a lot on here and going the cheaper route and doing the rattle can method for my base coats, aka sandable primer and ivory enamel spray paint.

I understand that Spraymax 2K is a good quality gas resistant clear coat but I'm thinking that the high gloss will be TOO glossy. So I thought the semi matte (which I'm hoping is more of a semi gloss) will be the better choice. I like the look when off white/cream frames and tanks get grimy from the road/age.

Any experience/suggestions?

Thanks.

2. gggGary

gggGary I'm listening, change my mind XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Sure: screw the primer and top coat, use almond appliance epoxy. (gloss) Easy touch ups, spray in the can lid, apply with a brush, wait a day, rub out with blue magic you can't even see the repair.

mrtwowheel and robinc like this.
  3. xjwmx

xjwmx It's just the unknown. Top Contributor

U.S.A.
    2K is good for tanks (gas-proof) but otherwise it would be too much. Headache to apply too -- really need to cover all your skin, and hold your breath and run upwind to take a breath. There are YT vids of guys doing quite the opposite but they are probably sorry now.

nj1639 and gggGary like this.