Springer. -2, +2 meaning?

desmodromic

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
What is the meaning of -2 and +2? is it that one is 2" bigger or shorter or something? I have a 2+ springer that I want to throw on my 81'. I am not concerned about the installation vs to what it does to the bikes geometry. Anyone running a 2+?

I never rode a springer. is it a stiff front end? I will also be riding it in NYC and we have very bad roads any tips on how to adjust the springer?

Eye candy.... I've never riden a springer either but my last bike was a full rigid so I imagine this is heaven compared to that.... Lol

Attachments

• 20121205_225133.jpg
    20121205_225133.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 194
  • 20121204_000353-1.jpg
    20121204_000353-1.jpg
    264.4 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_20121205_225924.jpg
    IMG_20121205_225924.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 177
I used the stock bearings and machined my own stem for this 60's springer I rebuilt....all of my friends love their springers and how they ride (worst rodes ever here in Michigan) so to each there own!

There are several threads on installing a HD springer on here, I think the biggest thing is cutting down the nut under the top clamp. Also the +2 -4 +27 etc is length related to HDs possibly a specific model, and I have heard that -2 is the same length as a stock XS.

Origanally springers came at the right length for a stock Harley. When people started chopping and raking the frames the strock length was to short. Depending on how much you chopped and raked you need a 2 over, four over or 12 over. That's where the +2 Or whatever came from.
Our XS's use a shorter fork than Harley does so the -2 or 2 under is about the same length as the stock XS fork. This won't change the ride height or stance much if any.
Most Springers are made to bolt to Harley's or bikes built to use Harley parts. The Harley neck is a bit shorter than our XS's. To mount a springer or most any Harley front end, get a set of the tapered roller bearing kits for the XS650. Install the races in the frame. SEt the bearings on a shelf. Now use the bearings that come with your springer. Put the lower on the stem. put the stem in the frame. Drop the upper bearing in place, Screw the top nut on.
Being the stem is a bit short you may have to shorten the top nut.
Do a bit of research and you will find many threads on how to do this on this site as well as most any of the chopper forums, like the Chopper Underground.
Leo

Back