SPRINGER INSTALL

member3480

RICH
Reaction score
I get this question about once a month and I know there are other links on here but I figured I would just give the way I install Springer or Harley front ends on the XS650 bike. Now maybe everyone may not agree with me and there are some kits out there that you can buy but for me once I commit to a build and cut up a bike I am making it ONE WAY!!!! not let me switch front ends every week. So if you are looking for a switch back and forth STOP!!!! and go read something different. I CHOP BIKES ONCE!
Parts you need are
1" Harley bearings and you just need the bearings not the race or cup whatever you call it
XS650 set of bearing because to date I have not found a company that just sells the race because that is all you need.
So now you have the bearings for a Harley and the Race from a XS650 and now you install.
ALL Springers are setup for HARLEY 1" bearings and you can also go to a trailer supply company and buy 1" trailer bearing . SUPRISE! they are the same.
Now the only cutting is the bottom of the neck . On a XS650 the race sits high and you have to make it sit flush. So 1/16" needs to be grinded or cut off. I use a piece of tape around it so my cut is even. Now before you do this ask yourself is this how I am leaving this bike because once you cut its done. So this is where the kits come in they give you a spacer to make up that difference so you don't cut. I don't like the spacer deal because its just one more piece to go bad after time and you will have a wobble in the front end once it wears down.
So now you know how to install a springer or Harley front end on a XS650.
Pictures below show 1" bearing - XS650 Bearings - and the bottom of the neck so you can see how deep the XS650 bearing sits.
GOOD LUCK and KEEP CHOPPIN
Rich

Attachments

• harley neck bearings.jpg
    harley neck bearings.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 245
  • xs650 neck bearings.jpg
    xs650 neck bearings.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 232
  • xs650 neck.jpg
    xs650 neck.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 246