Stainless braided brake lines Mikes XS

Raven 88

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys
Are the stainless braided brake lines from Mikes XS any good? I'm thinking of getting some and if anyone has had experience with them good or bad.
Cheers

Hey guys
Are the stainless braided brake lines from Mikes XS any good? I'm thinking of getting some and if anyone has had experience with them good or bad.
Cheers
Hi Raven, Mine lasted a year before the coating over the lines turned yellow, brittle and started to fall off, but the line it's self has not leaked. I use goodridge lines and they are of high quality. You can buy them in any length and just add the bolt-on ends :thumbsup: p.s. Dennis Kirk has the best prices I've found so far, just bought some the other day.

Raven,

I have them on my '81/H. I got the long single one and got rid of the coupling in the middle. It's much cheaper that way as well. I also put one on my XJ550. Excellent quality.

Perhaps gordonscott has a different brand because the ones I have from MikesXS do not have a cover or coating on them, so they have turned that typical stainless steel dull color after a couple of years.

I have the two piece lines from Mikes. They have a thick clear coating that isn't getting brittle or turning yellow yet. My only problem with them is that the banjo fittings are aluminum. With those ends, combined with new copper washers from Mike's there was no way to get the book torque before the copper started flattening and oozing out. I then reused the old washers, but did not use a torque wrench at that point. I do not know if the ends would reach the book torque without crushing. I think if an end took the right kind of hit it would break at the tube part. For the price of Mike's two piece I could have gotten MMM's one piece with steel fittings.

I have the mikes one piece on the front of mine and it works fine and still looks new.:thumbsup:

I torqued my banjo bolts to 18 ft/lbs. The washers did not distort.

If you hit something hard enough to break off the brake line, then that means that you have already come to a stop and you don't need the brakes anymore.

I have a mikes one piece sitting on the bench, just got it this week. It LOOKS nice!

Perhaps gordonscott has a different brand because the ones I have from MikesXS do not have a cover or coating on them, so they have turned that typical stainless steel dull color after a couple of years.
Hi Pete, I did get it from Mikes but could be different brand? Don't know if he had multible sources for them? It does have a clear coating on it to protect the line and whatever it rubs against, like I said the line has not leaked it just looks bad with coating coming apart. :shrug: p.s. I took this picture just now, I found my receipt (yes I keep them all:laugh:) and the line is almost two years old now but was last year when the coating started to fail, could have just been a bad batch?
cimg6467.jpg

Check www.cyclebrakes.com - I bought stainless steel braided lines from cyclebrakes for my Virago, very good quality. I have Mike's s/s lines on my 650 - they do the job, but don't look as well built, especially the hose-end fittings.

gordonscott,

Yes, that's possible that Mike have more than one source for the SS brake lines. I think I have had mine for 3 years because thats when I got the '81/H and the first thing I do when I get a new bike is rip off the master cylinder and the brake lines and replace with new.

I have lines from Mike's. With the dual disc on front I have three peices. The only trouble I had was when I put them on, I loosened the ends to pivot them and I didn't get it as tight as I should and had a small leak.
Thats my fault, can't blame the line for that.
Been on since early last year. Still look like new.
On the copper washers squeezing out, I think your torque wrench was set wrong. Mine are fine.

I've got Mikes lines front and rear on mine too. Mine also have the clear coat that is yellow, brittle and coming off, but they don't leak.

The clear covering is completely off mine now, after a year. The covering goes up under the crimp that holds the fitting on, and I wonder how secure the fitting is or will be in the future.

MikesXS needs to issue a recall on these and give everybody who has them a refund or a proven replacement.

I torqued my banjo bolts to 18 ft/lbs. The washers did not distort.

If you hit something hard enough to break off the brake line, then that means that you have already come to a stop and you don't need the brakes anymore.

When I read your post I laughed so hard Mountain Dew came out my nose. Well said.

Back