Stainless braided brake lines Mikes XS

I think most of the braided lines use an-3 fittings. They make all kinds of ends. The XS650 uses 10 mm banjo's. Just get some that are bent about the same.
A collapsing roof can snap Mike's line right at the line fitting juncture. My garage roof collapsed and broke the mirror and the brake line this past spring.
Leo

I have a year old front line that is turning yellow, and I noticed today is also cracking and some clear is falling off.
I also tried to install Mikesxs rear line today and it was leaking at the connecter. I tried to tighten it and the line fell out of the fitting. It just arrived via ups yesterday. I guess you get what you pay for, lesson learned.

Think its time to seek different lines then Mike's stuff.

I have a year old front line that is turning yellow, and I noticed today is also cracking and some clear is falling off.
I also tried to install Mikesxs rear line today and it was leaking at the connecter. I tried to tighten it and the line fell out of the fitting. It just arrived via ups yesterday. I guess you get what you pay for, lesson learned.

Think its time to seek different lines then Mike's stuff.

I have been using a Mikesxs front braided steel line for a couple of years now. It works fine and has not turned yellow. The yellowing and cracking may be due to sunlight. My bike is parked in my garage when not in use.

Mikesxs is the "Walmart" of XS650 parts. A good place to go when you don't want to spend much money, but the parts are generally of low quality.

What I don't like about the Mikesxs steel line, is the fact that the end fittings are aluminum. While, I have not had any problems with the fittings, I have some concerns that the aluminum is simply not as strong as a steel fitting would be. So far, so good, but if I have any hint of problems, I will buy steel lines with steel fittings.

Many shops on line where you can order custom made lines to any length and any fitting orientation. Pay a little more and get better quality, compared to Mikesxs.

I put a set of the Mike's lines on an XS650 a while back. They fit, and they function. You order them and they fit. Simple. At least, that was my experience.

I more recently did another bike. I ended up sourcing lines and fittings from Z1 Enterprises. I had to know how long the lines needed to be and what fittings I needed as well. Then I had to assemble them. It was worth it! The stuff is first quality and the price reasonable. The next one will get the Goodridge lines from Z1.

When I read your post I laughed so hard Mountain Dew came out my nose. Well said.

Well, after you "come to a stop", hopefully you will resume moving and need brakes.

The last time my bike fell over I was using it for a flashlight on a gate I had to lock and it fell vibrated off the stand because the bike had to be pointed downhill. I have fallen over in ruts in dirt roads all over the country. Including Wounded Knee cemetery, where friendly natives rushed to my aid. After I'd snubbed them a donation. Murphy's Law says there's going to be a big rock on the ground right where one of the fittings is. Actually it says we're going to be killed, but may we keep cheat it there.

Update on the lines, they are still together but all the plastic has flaked off. This makes me nervous because the end appears to be crimped on over the plastic and when it degrades there...

I bought the two piece lines because I didn't want to mess with finding the right size clamp for the middle. It was worth it to me. For that price you can get a one-piece with steel fittings, if you shop. That's what you should buy. I bought the lines on Pete's recommendation; maybe his were better than mine.

Just got back in the house was going to order a brake line but first read this thread. My brake line fitting on my 72 going into the Caliper is not a banjo fitting. It looks like a standard brake line fitting attached to a steel line. So I went to Z! to order a single SS brake line and I don't see a line or end piece with the correct end on it. Also measured my line and it looks to be like 37 inches does that sound right? Soon I'm going to have a bunch of used parts I'm going to get rid of seat,front and back fenders coils wiring harness, battery box, tool set,tank, side covers, headlight ears, etc.
Jack

Back