Star wheel

yellowdog

yellowdog
Reaction score
Ok,I took the right hand side engine cover off to polish it,(the PO had painted everything black,)
I could see the star wheel is loose, ie it is just spinning round,on the bottom of the casing I have found one of the small pins that has come out .
Looking closer I can see that the cross head screw that holds the star wheel on has either come loose or sheared off and is now butted up against back of the clutch
housing allowing the pin to come out ,the engine hasnt been run for a few years by the look of it,
Would this pin be one of the gear selector pins and are they simple to put back in or is this going to cause a major problem,
Thanks for any tips and advice .

So i took the clutch off and the screw holding the star wheel on had come loose ,
simply screwed it back in and touch wood it seems ok ,would maybe a bit of loctite help to stop it happening again?

I just had this happen to my bike. Star wheel loosened and one of the dowel pins ended up in the bottom of the RS of the case. They are easy to slip back in and it should be pretty evident where it goes once the wheel is off. The only pain is that you need to take the clutch off to get in there.

I did not use loctite on the screw in mine. There is a star lock washer on there, and I assumed that if everything was torqued down, it should hold ok. Thought it wouldn't be too much of a problem to double check it the next time I change the oil. I also thought that it would be difficult to get everything clean and free of oil enough to have the loctite adhere properly.

Yes ,thats exactly how mine was,I put the dowel back in ,it can only go in one place and the star wheel has a little hole in it that fits on a small stud so that can only go in one place as well ,I have tightened the screw as much as possible I dont want to risk stripping it.As the engine is out at the moment I cant really test if all the gears are there until I get it all back together.
Thanks

Back