Starrted my wiring

cruzin

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I've started to hook up wiring for my brat build. Its a 76 xs650. I modified the frame and built a electronics box to fit below the seat like so many do and then hung a battery box below the electronics box, All cut and welded from thin diamond plate steel then powder coated. In side the box I mounted a fuse block with 6 spaces, a vr-155 regulator a 3 phase rectifier, original starter relay. On the out side of the box I drilled holes for and mounted a small push button for exciting the starter relay below it the main power on/off switch and below that my light switch.The 2 switches are 30 amp commercial type made in Mexico of good quality. The battery is a Shorai battery with more caa than original.
I bought a cheap handlebar switch for the left side with hi-low beam for headlight, blinker that Im using for my kill switch and a horn button. I bought a 5.75 chrome aftermarket headlight. In the headlight I will
pull all my wiring for the headlight horn and kill switch. Im using 2 small Japan made relays on a 30amp spdt for headlight and a 20amp for horn. I did not want to put to much current through the cheap handlebar unit.
I ran 5 wires in a pvc sleeve for power and ground and kill switch.
I took two 14ga wires for power going up to power the light and its relay and horn and its relay.
I bought oem type bullet connectors and spade type connectors and the tool to crimp the wires in them.
The way I wired the headlight relay was to run the 14ga to double bullet connector then to terminal 30 of the spdt relay in the other spot of the double bullet connector I ran up to the hi-low beam selector of the handlebar switch and back down from the handlebar switch to the terminal 86 on the relay. That way when I turn on the high beams the 12vdc goes through the handlebar switch to excite the relay on 86. causing the switch to close and then power is directed to terminal 87 of the relay and goes to the high beam of the headlight. Nice thing about a spdt relay is that terminal 87 is normally closed so I hooked up the low beam to 87 so I do not need 2 12vdc wires to control it or even 2 relays. On terminal 85 I hooked to my 3rd 14ga wire going back to the electronics box where it is bolted to a stud along with ground strap from negative battery terminal. I also used a trippler bullet connector for all the grounds needed. Back down in the electronics box I used a doubler for the lights with one bullet connection for headlights and one for tail lights. I will run a separate brake light as I want them to work even if the headlight is off. I have not completed the horn and kill connections as of yet but will do so in the near future.
The kill switch is 2 16ga wires running up to the bucket then to the turn signal switch on the handlebars. Im using the left turn signal as the closed circuit so the bike wont start unless Ive got the left blinker on. I wont have blinkers but Im just using that switch. And when I move that blinker switch to center or right position the bike will shut down. The 12vdc will run up to switch then back down the second 16ga wire to excite a relay and close the 7.5amp circuit for the pamco and coils.
The horn will have a relay in headlight bucket also. Circuit somewhat like the lights but only a spst relay like the one for the ignition circuit.
The start relay is just power coming from the main on-off switch to the fuse block to the small momentary push button to the hot trigger red/white wire already on the stater relay and the blue and white wire going to ground lug in the box. I made most of the connections today out of the bike to test it out and the start solenoid works good and head light as it should. Did not smell anything burning so the smoke test if over for those 2 circuits.
Ill add more as I progress.

Attachments

• after4.jpg
    after4.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 166
  • photo 1-1.jpg
    photo 1-1.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 164
  • start2.jpg
    start2.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 171
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 151
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 177
Updated pictures
The last picture is one of those doubler bullet connectors. You can get them for joining 3 or 4 wires together.

Attachments

• photo11.jpg
    photo11.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 160
  • photo 9.jpg
    photo 9.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 155
  • photo 7.jpg
    photo 7.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 142
  • photo 6.jpg
    photo 6.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
Cruzin, it looks sweet. Nice and straight lined out. I like the simplicity and yet Again complexity ;) for me it is as a novice in Electrics as of yet ;)

It looks alot like mine, just the main difference is that you made yours yourself, I didn't make mine, but the overall aspects of it is almost identical.

Great Electronics box and nice layout.On one of the last Pictures have you grounded the wires inside the batterybox? what about metal to metal and is the location okay? I still need to wire mine to ground, thinking of two Places, the top motor Mount for all grounds coming from front and then in the rear for the rear ground wires, just haven't found the spot yet.

Where did you purchase the oem connectors?

Again nice Work, I like it ;) :bike:

I've started to hook up wiring for my brat build. Its a 76 xs650. In side the box I mounted a fuse block with 6 spaces, a vr-155 regulator a 3 phase rectifier, original starter relay.

Just Fyi, nothing designed to dissipate heat should be inside the box. Make sure the rectifier has plenty of airflow.

For the grounds I drilled,taped and welded in 2 1/4 x 20 bolts in the bottom of the box to attach ground wires to. The big black cable you see on the bottom of the box comes direct from the battery. I will run another big ground cable from there to the motor. The connectors are oem type bullet style I did not get them from Yamaha but that business called cycleterminal.com I suppose you can get stuff like that a hundred different places. I just found him and been buying there. I ran out of ring terminals so one of my ground wires is just under a ground nut right now. After I wrote this up I put all the wires and relay in the headlight to make sure it would fit and it does. Ill be shortening the wires after I get everything mounted in the bike but left them long for now. The other red wires you see that are not hooked up yet are horn and kill.

Attachments

• light.jpg
    light.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 130
Yes that is one of my concerns. I mounted that rectifier to a thick slab of copper. The box is not air tight and I hope I dont run into issues.

From what I read, those things can get pretty hot and need air flow across them. Kinda like what would happen if you made a box around your engine.

if I have to ill put some large holes in the front of my box which will be the back side of the 3.5 x 5" by .25" copper heat sink.

Back