Starter filled with oil

Walla Bill

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
77 XS650 with about 3200 original miles. Developed an oil leak around the starter so I pulled it off. I had ordered the seal between starter and engine and the small starter seal. When I pulled the first long bolt from the starter, oil seeped out. Pulled it apart and everything in the starter is covered in oil. Starter has performed perfectly every time for the 11 years I have owned this bike. Oil leak started recently so I probably caught it after just a few starts (seal just failed). Any ideas on the best way to clean the oil out without damaging anything? Careful soak in gas? Gas residue has got to be better than a thin coat of oil.

Unsure about using solvent like Purple Power because of possible residue.

Last edited:
There's a seal you should replace that slips over the gear made into the shaft. How to clean it -- probably like any electric motor. We would spray them real good with non-chlorinated brake cleaner. We had electrical cleaner but never used it for anything. Both the same brand that Walmart sells. Gasoline might dissolve the coating on the wire.

Brake kleen. Leaves no residue. Just let it air dry fir a day before putting it back together

Back