Starter gear and clutch question...

pa23driver

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure i know the answer but looking for confirmation before i spend money on a rebuild kit....

Does the starter gear look overly worn to you guys? its off a 1981 stock special
full

full

Also, what is the wear limit on the fiber friction clutch plates for a 1981 special?

i have my 1977 factory manual and they're saying the stock spec is .140" and the wear limit is .122" - this sound about right for an 1981 as well?

i should add i tore into the thing to fix a hard shift situation (impossible to find neutral when warmed up) and the starter kept kicking out

Yeah that looks pretty bad here's one that came out of a mid mileage motor that ate a piston.
starter gear 013 (640x386).jpg

starter gear 014 (432x640).jpg
the cases are now a mock up motor...................

I would suggest replacing that gear. The rubber damper ring is pretty torn up on it besides the gear teeth being worn. I would save and re-use the drag clip though. The one in the rebuild kit is supposed to be weak and not as good as an original.

I would suggest replacing that gear. The rubber damper ring is pretty torn up on it besides the gear teeth being worn. I would save and re-use the drag clip though. The one in the rebuild kit is supposed to be weak and not as good as an original.

good tip, i'll definitely keep the clip. actually the drag clip had pretty good tension to it, i have no idea why the gear got all messed up to begin with - maybe the messed up rubber damper ring held the gear in place by way of jamming the spring... just what i noticed when i was playing with the thing getting a handle on how it all worked - the gear was actually hard to unstick from the compressed position.

just read through it, good article, i'll be pinching the clip to get a little more tension out of it when i reinstall it on the new gear.

one more question, i just mic'd the fiber friction plates of the clutch and they're right around .117" to .118" so all is well there. my question is why are the tabs of the fiber friction plates that lock into the outer cluch hub all messed up? a good majority of the plates have tabs that have scrapes down to the metal, including the inner plates. any ideas?

I see that a lot on clutch plate tabs and think it may have something to do with the manufacturing process. There's nothing they can rub on once assembled into the hub. All they do is move in and out slightly and there's a steel plate between each one so they can't rub on each other.

Back