starter gears removal in engine case

jlc

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi
First post on this extremely informative forum have spent the last months going over all things xs and am hoping the crew here can help.
I have 1978 xs and have dived into the deep end with engine removal and case splitting after noticing some not very friendly noises emanating from engine.
Previously i had removed electric starter as i purchased the pma and installed so kick start only. Upon splitting the case i have found several cogs gears which seem all related to the electric starter am i able to and which ones can i take out without causing internal issues.
cheers guys and girls

pretty much all the gears and shafts in this diagram can go.
P3100004.jpg

But I would leave the long shaft in place, only way to get it in and out is by splitting the cases. Never know when an e-start will seem like a good idea again.

pretty much all the gears and shafts in this diagram can go.
P3100004.jpg

But I would leave the long shaft in place, only way to get it in and out is by splitting the cases. Never know when an e-start will seem like a good idea again.

Wow talk about a quick answer thats incredible thanks so much gggGary. I have indeed split the case already told you i was diving in the deep end (omg). I will have no need for a ES for this is my first ever moto and have no intentions of ever letting it go...
thanks again

Back