starter help

jamiie9534

XS650 Member
Reaction score
hello everyone,
so i am in a bit of a jam here. i had purchased a perfectly stock 1979 xs650. fast forward 1 year and i let my boy friend at the time talk me into turning the bike into a bobber. now we have gone our separate ways and i am left with a totally dismantled bike. i have worked on cars before with my dad. i can replace starters and alternators and such, but i am terrible at trouble shooting. someone directed me to this site so i am hopeing to not be too much of a bother, but i need some serious help. i cant afford to just hand the bike over to a mechanic, sine everyone near my area charges 90+ per. i am hoping i can get some help here.

my first thing i would like to do is reinstall the starter. i have the original parts. but i dont know the order in which they go in. can someone direct me in the right direction plz
thanks everyone

Here's the parts breakdown. Hope it helps....

Untitled.png

i have a gear that i dont see in the pick. i assume it goes on after part 19. the little wavey washer. but i dont see part 27 in my box (oil, seal) would that be still be inside. guess ill have to take the plate off and see

Yes, that oil seal (part #27) is probably still in the engine case .....

EP2pgnw.jpg

But, it might not be. Removing the starter leaves a large hole in the case that must be plugged. There are a couple ways to do that. Some fit a plug through the oil seal. Other times, the oil seal is removed and a larger diameter plug is fitted directly into the case with gasket sealer.

Yes, that oil seal (part #27) is probably still in the engine case .....

EP2pgnw.jpg

But, it might not be. Removing the starter leaves a large hole in the case that must be plugged. There are a couple ways to do that. Some fit a plug through the oil seal. Other times, the oil seal is removed and a larger diameter plug is fitted directly into the case with gasket sealer.

seal is still in there. we had a plate blocking the hole. thanks for the info fellas. i will try to find the info first myself next time. just so much info to go through. thanks again

Welcome jamiie9534,

don't hesitate to ask..........Yes all the info probably has been posted before but we can't get enough of our own voices and love repeating ourselves..:whistle:

We love pics, more the merrier........be surprising what information nuggets of gold will come from perusing pics.

Back