starter overrun

yamamunn

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
just got 78 special. bike was sitting for 20+ years so far I have blasted and powder coated the air boxes, NOS air filters, cleaned carbs and petcocks, replaced points, adjusted valves & cam chain, cleaned oil filter new oil, bleed all fluids out of brakes. bike is running good but the starter over runs is there an easy fix

There's a little return spring in the bendix that is supposed to kick the gear out. People say you can stretch them if they're weak. I've never had that problem so I'm not really sure. I've had the opposite problem like most people where it doesn't want to engage.

as travis says it sounds like the bendix spring or the spline might be sticky with gunge over that period of time.
Best to remove the starter and WD the spline and bendix etc and make sure it is all running nice and smoothly and the spring is not broke and then re-lubricate the spline.

Don't forget to drain the oil first lol unlike another member this week ....ahem ...no names no pack drill

The safety relay controls the starter to a certain extant. When the engine starts and the revs climb the alternator output increases. Some of this alternator voltage goes to the safety relay. When it reaches about 4.5 volts the safety relay trips and cuts the power to the satasrter relay. On the olde bikes you can adjust the safety relay. I think the 78's have the later two section relay. One for starter cut off and another for headlight turn on. These are not adjustable.
If the cut out voltage is too high it keeps the starter working longer and is more apt tp over run.
On the adjustable ones, two screws hold the cover on, the contacts might be stuck. To adjust there is a moveable plate that holds one contact. Adjusting it up lowers the voltage required to trip it.
Leo

Back