starter removal - which wires are removed?

roalcarrillo

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Removed starter from my 83'.
Getting freeze plug soon.

Question: My starter's wires connect to a small round metal object...
1. What is that called?
2. Can I remove it?
3. What do I do with the wires leaving that object?

Additional useless information:
1. The black wire is ground to battery.

Attachments

• 20140825_201456.jpg
    20140825_201456.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
That's starter solenoid. You won't need it anymore, not sure what the wires go to. Check the diagram for your model.

Two small wires to the solenoid are the power feed, 12 volts when key is on so it could be used for something else to power, and the wire to your starter button which grounds it out and energizes the solenoid. This one can be removed all together. Unplug both at solenoid and testing with a test light will soon tell you which has power, with the key on of course.

Solenoid has two #6 AWG wires, big black wires, one goes down to the starter, the other goes to the positive post of the battery. Both can be removed and saved.

Others may need one or both, could be a few dollars in your pocket instead of coming out of your pocket.

The small wires on the starter relay, red/white is power in, blue/white to start button.
On some years the red/white at the relay only got power when the engine stop switch was in the run position. other years it got power with the engine stop switch in run or off.
Leo

Back