Starter/Safety Relay

Mulfito

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Bought a stock '81 back in December (my first bike) - the XS was running when I first got it and then started having issues. When trying to start the XS using the starter it would work sometimes and then I would get a loud clicking in the safety relay. Then when I went to kickstart the XS it would kickback on me viciously - so bad in fact it broke my ankle. Didn't get to winterize the bike as I spent 3 months in a leg boot.

Started looking at the XS again this past week. Checked the battery and it's got a full charge - even put it on the tender for a few days to make sure. Starter/Safety relay keeps making a loud clicking when I try to start the bike. If I pull in the clutch the clicking is very faint from the relay.

Not sure what to try or check next. Not sure I want kickstart and get another broken ankle. I'm a new at all this and want to learn - just need some help.

A bad kick back is usually related to the timing being off. But on an all stock '81, you would have an electronic ignition that is factory pre-set and has no means for adjusting it. In other words, the timing couldn't be off. However, if the factory ignition went bad, it could have been replaced with an aftermarket system like a Pamco, and that is adjustable. Look under the little chrome covers at the top of the cylinders on both sides of the engine. If you still have the stock ignition set-up, they will be empty like so .....

CamSealInset.jpg

Your safety/headlight relay shouldn't click when you try the starter. This item keeps the headlight off until the engine starts and then disables the starter.
The starter relay or solenoid will click. This is often a low or bad battery. There are several tests you can do. On the starter relay, you can find it on the right side under the side cover, or by following the positive battery cable down to it.
It has two large terminals. The battery cable hooks to one, the other has a cable to the starter.
I have a spare battery I use with jumper cables for testing. I set it next to the bike, hook the negative from battery to the front peg mount bolt. From the positive I put a big screwdriver in the red clamp. Now peel back the black rubber on the relay to expose the cable ends.
Now touch the screwdriver to the cable to the starter. This should spin the starter.
If it does you know the cable and starter are ok.
Now unhook the jumper cables.
Use the jumper cables, the red side, Hook the clamp to the bikes battery positive, the other end with the large screwdriver, touch the starter cable. The starter should spin. If so thus tells you the battery and cable to the relay is good.
Now on the relay there are two small wires, one is red/white, power to the relay, and a blue/white, ground.
Power comes to the red/white wire through several devices. The key switch, engine stop switch and safety relay.
If you have a meter check the voltage on this red/white wire. It should match the battery voltage. Or be very close. Less than 1/2 volt. if it is low you need to trace back along the power path to find the issue.
If no power you can test by jumping from battery positive to the red/white wire.
The blue/white wire is the ground for the relay. The blue/white wire runs up to the start button were it grounds to the bars. For testing, unplug the blue/white wire at the relay. jumper the blue/white wire to ground. This bypasses the start button and should spin the starter. If it does plug it back in, try the start button. Does it work. unplugging and plugging things may have fixed a weak connection.
Leo

Thanks all for the replys. Great advice and made me look further. I found this on another site:

"Remember a fully charged battery is 12.6 V if conventional acid filled, 13 V if maintenance free. 12.4 is 75%, 12.2 is 50% 12 is 25% 11.9 is completely dead."

The battery that was with my XS was a maintenance free battery. When I tested the other day it had 12.4 volts. Today it had 11.9. I put it back on the battery tender and I'm up to 13.12v and will give it another try.

I did check the safety relay again it it wasn't the part that was clicking - it was the starter.
The XS still has the original TCI ignition. The question I have now - will low voltage cause the killer kickback from the kickstarter?

The TCI doesn't like low voltage. It often starts and idles fine but won't take throttle.
It could cause the kickback. Not sure on that. It never did on mine.
Leo

Check the ground strap that goes from the battery to the frame and the other battery cable connections.
Pull the plugs, ground them, (grab any old chunk of bare steel or copper wire, wrap the plug bases have wire touching frame or engine) try the starter(s). Look for bright spark . If you haven't, check your oil level does it smell like gas? have you been through the carbs yet?

Thanks everyone. I put in the fully charged 13.12V battery and it started right up without issue.

Now to work on my kickstart technique.

Back