Starting Point for a XS650 Build -

landerson

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I just joined the forum and wanted to introduce my project plans and invite your constructive guidance and thoughts. I'm planning to build an Yamaha XS650 bobber, much like the many impressive member's builds I've seen thus far and wanted to get some insight on the recomended direction of the build. I've researched buying a custom frames (Lowbrow) beginning from scatch, buying an existing frame or rolling chasis (needing hardtail section fabrication) along with buying an existing, intact-running Yamamha XS650 bike and tearing down from there.

I am a welder/machinist by trade, my preference of process being TIG (xray open joint) or SMAW so fabrication is my strong point. I've fabricated rail buggies and misc. frames but have yet to tackle a bike. I strongly believe that welding itself is a true art, every bead is one's signature and take a lot of pride in my trade. I'm nervous that if utilizing an existing Yamaha frame will not have the same integrity as a custom frame.

As you all have completed (or in process) of similar projects similar to mine, what are your thoughts/experiences to consider? New ideas that have worked well for you? I appreciate your positive input. Many thanks

I'm not a welder by trade by and haven't welded in a good 20 years. So I brought my bike to my wife's cousin who is a welder by trade. He builds tanker trucks. He was fairly impressed that these old frames were as could as they are. we had no problems welding in new seat rails for a bratstyle bike.

The only things I would remotely worry about with these frames is one if it got twisted up by a previous owner and two if you're cutting the neck gusset out (which I did). I don't notice any flex yet in the neck.

If you are a welder/machinist, I would build your own frame. As for using someones weld on hardtail. I wouldn't fret about that. If I could TIG pretty, I would use a David Bird looped hardtail and TIG over the rest of the stock frame welds. You have lots of options. I wouldn't buy someone else's frame If I could do it myself.

My last two builds, a Honda CL450, and an XS650. I did my own hardtail on the Honda, and a TCBroths hardtail on the XS. My next Build is going to be my own frame, with just the XS kneck and some of the motormount tabs from the stock frame.

Thanks for the input. For my first build, I'm strongly considering using an existing frame, purchasing a David Bird rear section and attaching it myself. I'm all about supporting the field by purchasing from a talented welder.

Hello All,

What are your thoughts using a completed David Bird frame, (single down tube) vs existing XS650 frame and modifying the tail? Has anyone had any issues using this frame with XS650 Unit or Yamaha components?

http://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=690

I'm still considering starting with a running bike, utilzing frame, front forks, engine and all necessary components but it seems like I'd be using less parts for my build, it being a bobber style. I don't want to be left with tons of extra parts from a stock Yamaha. Maybe I'm being too cheap (I prefer thrifty) but I don't want to buy parts I don't need and try to sell them later.

Being my first build, it may be worth starting with an existing blueprint and modifying from there.

Sorry to sound so indecisive and maybe over complicating things. Thoughts are welcome.

I'm not a welder, and I don't know anything about anything yet. But my plan for next year is to cut off the neck and build a whole new frame from there. Just saying...

I have a Pro Tools bender and a Hobart 110 MIG.

Do you already know how to ride? If not or don't have much experience then start with a running stock, or close to stock bike. Learn how to ride and the quirks of the bike.
This will give you a chance to find and fix any engine, electrical, or other problems.
This way you will have some idea of what the bike is and how the mods you do will effect the bike.
If you get a titled bike in your name, you can use the neck with good numbers and paper to build any style frame you want.
Leo

Do you already know how to ride? If not or don't have much experience then start with a running stock, or close to stock bike. Learn how to ride and the quirks of the bike.
This will give you a chance to find and fix any engine, electrical, or other problems.
This way you will have some idea of what the bike is and how the mods you do will effect the bike.
If you get a titled bike in your name, you can use the neck with good numbers and paper to build any style frame you want.
Leo

Leo,

Great advice! Much appreciated! This is what I'm thinking would be best for me, and safest. Getting familiar with the foundation first, understanding mechanical etc. and taking the next step when ready. The fabrication is not what I'm worried about and being a rail buggy guy, VW air cooled is in my corner. I try to take everything I do in a constructive way, especially with something new to me. People are constantly asking me why I haven't stepped into the bike world with all the fab and machine background. From the outside looking in, it can be intimidating - 2 wheels instead of 4!!

I agree with your view and again appreciate your input. I believe this is the route to take that best fits me, my family and lifestyle. Thanks again.

Back