steel braided brake lines

franklinshaw

What just happened??
Reaction score
Is there a thread expanding how to shorten a steel braided brake line? I can't seem to find one. And if not is this even possible for me to do at hme? Or is buying a custome made brake line to the length i need my only option?

How much shorter do you need it? You can usually absorb a few extra inches by just re-routing. The front line I used was a little too long but by simply routing it over to the left behind the headlight before going down to the wheel with it, it worked out fine .....

BrakeLine.jpg

Hi, can you dis-assemble the banjo fitting or is it a crimp fitting? If its a screw one, dis-assemble, cut the hose to the length and re-assemble.
Venhill hoses offer hoses, fitting etc so you can lbuild your own

That is such a good idea with re routing the line. My problem is I have clip ons so there is quite a bit of shortening to do. I'm not sure of the banjo fitting. Its still covered up, I havnt unwrapped it yet. I will as soon as I get back home. If its a crimp fitting is it safe to say that I can order a new banjo fitting, cut, and install?

Most of the braided lines the ends are AN-3 fittings that get crimped in place. It take special tools to properly crimp new end on. The banjo ends screw into the AN-3 fittings.
You might try finding a place like NAPA that builds hydralic lines. They might be able to shorten your line.
Leo

Hey franklinshaw, did you ever figure out how to shorten your brake line? I have on from mikes and need to remove a couple of inches

just about to order some myself.
Heres a link for UK members where you can measure your own braided brake lines exactly to length and colour etc.
http://www.venhill.co.uk/Line_Builder

Don't forget to allow for the length of the fittings when specifying your hose lengths:wink2: some quote hose lengths including fittings ,some quote excluding

I havnt yet. I will just order one to the length I need because it is crimped at the end and I would need some crazy tools to do it my self. Or I may take it to napa or something like mentioned before to have it cut to the length I need.

So does any of Mike xs brake lines do the trick I am placing an order with him any day...
I would like to do away with the DoDad brake manifold sitting on the lower tripple.

Mike's has a long line, 42 inches I think, that he sells to use a one piece line. This elimanates the joint on the lower tree.
Leo

That's what I bought Leo. Jumped the gun and figured it would work with the Keystone bars and +4 forks but still need to take a couple of inches off. Is it possible to shorten it? Tried to route differently but it just doesn't look right

Got any pictures of the routing.
Please elaborate what "+4 forks" are... sorry its probably my english.

Didn't take any pics Lester. +4 just means the tubes (upper part) are 4 inches over stock length. Go through my build thread and you can see some early mock up pics where there is a gap between the top of the triple tree and the top of the fork tubes. I had TC Bros. rake out the neck I believe 38 degrees. Later pics show the longer tubes are in to close gap

As I said in an earlier post, you can try a place that builds lines. Napa does for farm equipment hydralic lines. They might be able to do brake lines.
Leo

Thanks Leo. Will give napa a call today. Was hoping someone had done the modification to Mike's line already.

Didn't take any pics Lester. +4 just means the tubes (upper part) are 4 inches over stock length. Go through my build thread and you can see some early mock up pics where there is a gap between the top of the triple tree and the top of the fork tubes. I had TC Bros. rake out the neck I believe 38 degrees. Later pics show the longer tubes are in to close gap

OK, thanks... thats what I thought it was but wans't sure.

Lester

Back