Steering bearings

A decent how to
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v463/GoranXS650/XS650 Tinnis Project/Steering Bearings/

You can look through the pictures in my repair photos at the link in my signature too. Page 5 I think. Not too bad to do.:thumbsup:

pumps. ive seen a few how-to's on these bearings and was wondering why I dont see them greased up? i assume they need it. I know they dont turn fast, and hardly at all, but, shouldnt they be greased?
and if you did grease them, what did you use to clean the cutting fluid off with? carb cleaner?
btw, thanks for the semi-howto.

Look closely and you'll see grease in the pics. These usual replacement bearings don't work with some early years. Don't remember which early years or exactly why. I think it's something about the spindle shape.

JUst be sure the races are taken off the stem and out of the steering head.
Some have tried leaving the old races in and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't go back together.

I would use marine grease since it might wash out less. I still have balls and races in mine and we get along fine.

I think it's been over a year since I took mine apart and just a couple of days ago I found one of the those ball bearings on the floor. I remember it coming apart..tink tink tink as the bearings fell on the floor.
IMG_0010.jpg
:D

so what did you guys use to initially use to clean your new bearings before you greased them? carb cleaner?

My new bearings had a light coat of grease, I just packed them well with wheel bearing grease.

In case you mean the very bottom race, on the spindle itself. I have a little steel bar about 3" long and 1/2" square that I use for a lot of things. I put the top of the spindle on the concrete floor and put the end of the bar on the edge of the race and whacked it with a hammer, working around. Came off soon. I think you can use a screwdriver as a lever assisted by a couple of stops cast into the lower yoke I was able to get it off without hurting the grease seal under it. I took mine off to replace it with a used one that didn't have ball marks in it.

sorry, i was talking about the very bottom race. i was trying a screw driver but didn't want to destroy the seal. maybe i didn't swear at it enough??

You need a little magic steel bar like mine. They are easily purchased or stolen from machine shops. The grease seal is real flexible, so you can bend it out of the way and not damage it.

next time i'm in a machine shop, i will wander around till i find one... i got the race off in the mean time. the seal is more durable than i thought it would be, so you don't have to worry about f'n it up that much. thanks for the help.

The seal is stretchy enough you can pull it off around the race. This gives you more room to see what your doing.

My goto trick for stubborn races is a cut off wheel on the Dremel, cut one or two slots in the race and a whack or two with a chisel, job done. One other thing is that the tapered bearing races have a larger ID so when going to remove them there is not much "shelf" to work against.

Back