steering lock

xs650dude63

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey everyone I have a 1980 xs650 special, I noticed when I lock the steering there are two clicks the first one locks the steering, then you can move the key back again, and its still locked, is there reason for the second setting for the key? I hope you understand what I am trying to say, its hard to explain. Thanks!

The second click turns the taillight on and keeps the forks locked. It's for parking at night along roads so you don't get rear ended. Now a days it would give the cage driver an aiming point.

Thanks, I didnt notice the taillight turned on!

Hi dude,
neither did I, the one time I parked overnight outside a friend's place and set the steering lock.
Battery was sucked right flat the next morning.
And the damn fool didn't have a battery charger.
The bike took the next leg of the group ride in the back of the chase truck with it's battery jumpered onto the chase truck's battery.
First and last time I ever used that feature.

I've always wondered about this functionality. When I bought my first bike, some moons ago, the salesman explained it as if you have to stop on the side of the road to take a leak. However, when I stop on the side of the road to take a leak, more often or than not I leave the keys in my bike, and I have never locked the bars with the tail light on. In all the years, with all the bikes, not once.

Do people use this?

Hi SantaFe Trailer,
the Yamaha version of a steering lock will immobilize the steering at one left click with the second (hardly noticeable) left click also turning on the rear light with either of those settings letting you take the key out.
I must admit the one and only time I locked up my BSA's steering I made an involuntary 180º turn before I remembered what I'd done.
No 180º for the Yamaha though, parking overnight with the rear light accidentally turned on had sucked the battery flat.
So do people use this? I'd say they'll only use it once.
BTW, despite your salesman's delightful explanation the parking light feature is not so you can relieve yourself in safety, it's that certain jurisdictions require that vehicles parked in the street after dark must have their rear lights on.

BTW, despite your salesman's delightful explanation the parking light feature is not so you can relieve yourself in safety, it's that certain jurisdictions require that vehicles parked in the street after dark must have their rear lights on.

Yes, I believe in some European countries this was required. I know non-US Hondas also had a tiny extra bulb in the headlight that came on as well as the tail light when the key was set to "park" position.

Back