Sticking Auto Advance Unit

Take Warning15

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Read bits and pieces on the forum, but nothing comprehensive on solving this problem. I know from what I've read that I am going to take the rod out and lube it but I'm not sure how to get it out. Does it come out of the points side or the advance side. Can I leave the points alone (I don't want to mess with timing again)? What else can I do without buying a new unit?

i always take the nut off of the advance side, leave the advance cam sitting with the weights and slide the rod out the points side. just be careful. I think there is a locating pin in that can fall out.

Remove the little disc from the advance side, the one that hooks into the weights, and then withdraw the rod from the points side. The points cam will remain attached to the rod.
Clean out the bushing grooves and re-grease. Lightly smear the entire rod with grease. Use a grease with a high moly content. I like to put some grease on the spring mounts on the ATU plate now too.
You don't have to remove the advance unit or points and points plate. This won't disturb your timing or points settings at all.

Make sure you align the little disc properly. There is a locating pin on the rod for the disc. There is also one for the points cam. They must both point in the same direction ..... When you put it back together put a drop of blue loctite on the nut. Doesnt needs heaps of torque.

This is quite a good visual reference for the ATU....

http://hughshandbuilt.blogspot.co.nz/2012/05/how-to-pamcopete-277-ignition-install.html

Its also worth mentioning that worn springs or over expanded or badly worn bob weight tangs can contribute to sticking advance mechanisms...

Back