Stock Color? Painting Plastic?

52Chevy

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
It's there a way to determine the factory color of my bike? It looks to have been painted a few times and I want sure what color it would have been.

Also, any advice on painting the front fender and side covers that are plastic?

Yes the vin would help. Look in the tech section there is a how to ID my bike thread some of the charts have the stock colors for that year and model. I can't post a pic from my phone but I'll try in a bit

Post the year of your bike in your signature.
'82 Heritage Special came with factory painted fenders, all the others were chrome as far as I know.....
There's rattle can spray that's specific for plastic.

Yep we can tell you. Never use paint stripper on plastic side covers they will soften and wrinkle.

Yes the vin would help. Look in the tech section there is a how to ID my bike thread some of the charts have the stock colors for that year and model. I can't post a pic from my phone but I'll try in a bit

Alright thank you I will check that out!

Post the year of your bike in your signature.
'82 Heritage Special came with factory painted fenders, all the others were chrome as far as I know.....
There's rattle can spray that's specific for plastic.

I thought I had, and as far as I know this had a factory painted front fender.

Looks like you have an 80 Special so it would have been cardinal red or new Yamaha Black. I think both those were metallics. Here's the model year guide I used.
http://www.xs650.org.au/general%20info.HTM

Thanks Gary, I am pretty sure it was red. I can see Red, Blue and Black, I can tell the black was a crappy spray paint job, the blue I am not sure about, and the red seems to be underneath it all.

When the time comes it will be getting redone in Cardinal Red.

Thanks guys.

Yep we can tell you. Never use paint stripper on plastic side covers they will soften and wrinkle.

I figured paint stripper wouldn't be good on plastic. What should I do to remove the old paint then?

Good ol' DOT 3 Brake fluid man. Works great. Paint it on, let it sit for a few min and wipe off. Like anything else do a test spot first but it shouldn't harm your plastic. Make sure you rinse WELL before new paint of it wont stick.

EDIT: and heres one of many ID charts here in the tech section
View attachment 18747

Brake fluid huh? I hadn't thought of that!! Thank you!

How exactly do I read the chart. Also do I go off the title or the manufacture date?? It was manufactured in 12/79 is what I have been told.

I'm not exactly sure how to read it but I think the numbers posted are the start of the series. So according to this page it says yours is an 80sg. I'd wait for someone who knows years and models better than me for a second opinion first. What does it say on the tittle?

Title means nothing, I thought it looked like an 80 special:wink2:

Hey Detale that's the first I have heard of the brake fluid trick, and I'm doing a set of brakes and have piles of plastic side covers. Gonna try it and see what happens. :)

Lord knows I have removed plenty of paint with brake fluid already! :banghead:

LOL, I thought of it after I had repainted my calipers and had a leak about 2 days later when the paint wiped right off, I was like A HA!!! It can't be that an original idea though. I can't see it having a bad effect on a rigid plastic though. Please post your results. Where did you see a pic of his bike? I can't find one.

Will a already can for plastic work on my metal task as well, or would it be great to use two different types? I actually do have a spray fun and compressor, I've just never used it...

Huh???

Do you mean use plastic paint on metal? Honestly it may or may not work. Realistically though the time and energy you will spend painting and sanding you should get the right paint and make sure it's done right. Do you really want to strip it off and do it again if something goes wrong. Voice of reason here.

No I don't, but I might anyway because I'm sure its but going to turn out very well anyway. But yes I was referring to using the plastic paint on the metal tank. I am somewhat worried about paint not matching between the different types, I've had that problem before.

Any rattle can paint now available will self destruct at the slightest hint of gasoline. There are some 2 part rattle can paints that are supposed to be resistant.

Back