Stock colour of a 1978 special.

Leslee

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hi, after selling our 1979 XS special 2 yrs ago & totally regretting it as soon as it exited our driveway, we have now purchased ( this week ) a 1978 XS special in Black....now not so keen on the black as a colour. On the title of the bike it says its green, but aren't the Standards only green for the 78 year, & Midnight Blue & Vintage Burgundy the colours for the 78 special. So very confusing, or did someone change the colour somewhere within the bikes 40 plus years to green I wonder. Anyone else have a green 1978 special by any chance - also with the colours for that year was there any pinstripe / decals on the tank & side panels at all. We would like to get the bike back to the correct stock colour. Thanks for your help guys.

Everything i know tallies with what you said............. 78E Standard had 2 colours, Star Black and Spruce Green Metallic.

Is the 78SE a NZ bike or an import?. I know people imported Japanese models into NZ.

I have more info on my external HD back home. Will post more when i get back.

And welcome from an Expat from Taranaki

Everything i know tallies with what you said............. 78E Standard had 2 colours, Star Black and Spruce Green Metallic.

Is the 78SE a NZ bike or an import?. I know people imported Japanese models into NZ.

I have more info on my external HD back home. Will post more when i get back.

And welcome from an Expat from Taranaki[/QUOT

Thank you - yes it is NZ new.

Attachments

• ID Chart PDF 27-10-2015.pdf
    813.4 KB · Views: 114
Thanks, checked out the forms. Yes the engine & frame numbers are both matching being starting at - 447910 - so all tallies correct for the year & area model. Someone obviously decided to have the paint work green in its past life, maybe they picked up the Standard colour for the 78 year by mistake which I suppose could be easily done. We now shall have to choose on the Midnight Blue or Vintage Burgundy. Our previous 1979 XS special was Carmine Red ( after we had to change that as well from a weird blue which was also on both mudguards as well ) both mudguards had to be re-chromed after that too. I see our old 79 bike up for sale very recently on a NZ auction site & the colours have changed on that one again !! cheers

Hi, after selling our 1979 XS special 2 yrs ago & totally regretting it as soon as it exited our driveway, we have now purchased ( this week ) a 1978 XS special in Black....now not so keen on the black as a colour. On the title of the bike it says its green, but aren't the Standards only green for the 78 year, & Midnight Blue & Vintage Burgundy the colours for the 78 special. So very confusing, or did someone change the colour somewhere within the bikes 40 plus years to green I wonder. Anyone else have a green 1978 special by any chance - also with the colours for that year was there any pinstripe / decals on the tank & side panels at all. We would like to get the bike back to the correct stock colour. Thanks for your help guys.
I have the green. It came from USA to England where the registration here decided it is a 1977 and it's a standard.

Attachments

• XS 650 E 003.jpg
    XS 650 E 003.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 666
Even in New Zealand, I wouldn't expect this to be a particularly valuable vehicle. Other than pink or purple, paint it whatever color suits you, says I.

The US Specials for 1978 had a plastic badge on the tank and another on the side cover, both in gold. The color is not broken by any stripe or decal. It all looks good in black. As I recall, the Midnight Blue and Vintage Burgundy are both very dark, the burgundy less so.

My daughter wanted a purple XS650 Special. We settled on black with purple glass mixed into the paint. It looks great in the sunlight.

1643142683734.png

1643142821770.png

Back