Stock seat on a 1977?

xs650newb

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Here is my 1977 XS650.

1977 xs650d.jpg

It sat for 20 years outside but it started right up after a carb clean and a new set of points.

Now that it runs I'm doing a restoration, trying to get it as stock as possible.

That includes:

1) replacing mag wheels with the original spoked wheels (I have them but I need to replace the rubber)

2) getting a matching set of sidecovers and tank in either maroon or blue. (I have sourced the maroon side covers, just waiting on finding a tank now)

3) replacing that ugly seat.

4) Replacing the chrome that is pitted and/or no longer shiny.

Can someone tell me if that seat is stock for the 1977 XS650D? When I've seen perfectly restored bikes online they always have a flatter, more cafe-ish seat. If possible, I'd like to find one of those. If you have one, could you post a picture so I can confirm I purchase the right thing on e-bay.

Best,
Adam

The seat pan may be original but that hump back monstrosity of a cover certainly isn't, lol. Yes, they had a flat seat. Just Google "1977 XS650" and you'll get lots of pics.

Hey Adam,
Good on ya for the resto. Been keeping me eyes out for a Bountifull Blue tank or a reasonable full pack of the Maxi Maroon.
Might even consider trying to match the paint code......probably cheaper.......and then there's a web site that sells the decals.

Hey guys,

I'm definitely happy to be doing the resto. My other xs650 was a 1981 special and I cafe'd it. I never liked the stock specials though so I didn't feel bad about cutting it up. The 1977 though looks so good stock I didn't want to mess with it.

Definitely, if you see a maxi maroon tank let me know. i have a 'wanted' add in the for sale section of the site and I have a few other leads so hopefully i find something soonish. I have the maxi maroon side covers coming in the mail now and they should get here this coming week so that is excited.

This winter I will replace chrome and polish the engine so hopefully I can find a seat before then. It is incredible how hard it is to find the stock 1977 flat seat.

Adam

Back