Stock Shock Absorber Height and it's Lowest Setting

ipmaham

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm only 5'8" and while sitting on my bike, even at it's shortest shock setting, I am barely balancing on the balls of my feet. Any recommendations to lower the shock height so I can rest a little easier while at a stop light. Maybe something around 11"-12"?

Also, should I look into messing with the fork length since I am changing the rear shock absorbers? Any recommendations on those?

Thanks

Last edited:
You can safely raise the fork tubes about 1/2" in the trees. That may help a little. You can't go any more really or the lowers might hit the lower tree on full compression.

So when installing smaller shock absorbers in the rear, I don't have to really worry about matching the same closed distance in the front?

You didn't say what bike you're working with but at 5'6" I too like my ride low enough to flat foot. Both the 78'SE and the SR500 are running 11" shocks and Hugh's Handbuilt 1" lowering spacers up front. Plenty of rear fender clearance and no problem with the lower tree hitting the fender. I have 12 series Progressives on the SR and Hagon "Custom" shocks on the SE. Happy with the result. MMM at 650 Central has an 11" shock for about $100 that I have used in the past. They aren't too bad for the price. Honda Rebel shocks are about 10.5" and are readily available on ebay.

roy

So I guess I'll shoot for the 1" lowering spacers. Do you have a preference on which is a more comfortable ride between the Honda rebel shocks and the progressive series 12?

No experience with the Honda shock, just know they're out there. The Progressive 12's are a good shock that can be customized with spring rates for your weight and riding style. If you do some research you'll find that you can spend a lot of money on shocks. I'm not skilled enough to need the really good stuff but at $300 the Hagon's tailored to my weight are awesome. The Progressive shocks are plenty good too but the SR is a really light bike.

roy

So I guess I'll shoot for the 1" lowering spacers. Do you have a preference on which is a more comfortable ride between the Honda rebel shocks and the progressive series 12?

have the rebel shocks installed and happy with them for riding solo, but 2 up might have clearence problems with the rear guard and wiring.other alternative is search ebay (or make a set up) for a set of lowering blocks,they go on the swingarm but alter the angle of the shocks

You can also 'snubber' the shocks to limit travel. Search 'snubber', just a simple rubber bush that slides onto the shock shaft...

he wants to lower shocks not limit the travel(short leg drama) hey is that why people go for hardtails so the girlfriend can throw a leg over :D

I'll look into those rebel shops. girlfriend weighs about 100lbs so I dont see it bottoming out in the near future. Thanks everyone for suggestions

Back