Stock speedometer light blown

jd750ace

Front Toward Enemy
Reaction score
So my speedometer backlight is blown. Its a soldered in tube in a black plastic holder. Anyone replace one? What with?

Thanks.

If it looks like the part on the left in the picture below, it's not a light bulb, it's the reed switch for your self cancelling turn signals. The backlit bulb is a standard 12v 3W unit. Sorry, don't have a part number for ya.

reed switch.jpg

Be a good time to put an LED bulb in there. BA9S
, 1156 series light bulb. Aussie site, sure to find something in your area

This is a 76 taco gauge cover.

Pic 118; the top tube with the cover is for the gauge light. the others are for the Neutral, high-beam and brake lining warning light.

Pic 111; rubber bulb holder.

Pic 116; obvious

Pic 117; obvious

Wasn't sure what you were really getting at, a loose tube ore just the bulb.

I see resto may have your answer.

Attachments

• Photo117.jpg
    Photo117.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 173
  • Photo116.jpg
    Photo116.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 170
  • Photo111.jpg
    Photo111.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 176
  • Photo118.jpg
    Photo118.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 163
Yep, good on ya resto.... Had me scratching me head there.

You can get inventive with the tach and put the high beam, turn and neutral indicators all under one roof so to speak......get rid of the light tree between the gauges. Leaves a good place to mount a voltmeter.

Strange. The reed switch is all there is in the housing. No lamp holder r wire was leading up through the sheathing to the case, but the housing does have a hole for a lamp holder. Guess I'm doing some creative work later. Radio shack, here I come!

Those bulb holders are quite common and easily scrounged from other bikes. Or, if you've eliminated your RLU, you could use that bulb holder, or the one from the brake light failure light. When I switched to an L.E.D. tail light bulb, my brake failure light came on. I guess the current draw was so low it fooled the sensor into thinking the bulb was bad. I removed the bulb from the indicator in the dash.

Just what I was thinking. The reserve lighting unit is in the "removed" box. I already installed an L.E.D. in the tail. 3 watts each on those instruments does not sound like it's worth it to try to save much energy, and they are all pretty darn easy to get to.

Appreciate the responses. Guess I should have figured out from the equipment list that the Speedometer back light was not some bastard child tube!

The way these bikes vibrate, you will be replacing an occasional instrument bulb. When I got mine, they were all blown out, lol. I replaced them all and since have had to replace one of the replacements. I got about 5 years out of it though, which I don't think is too bad.

Pretty sure all these are original, but hard to tell with that lamp gone. It took a layover at some point and bent up the case for the speedo. Gonna try to straighten it up some. The support bracket was jacked up some too. got it straightened up pretty good and it's in the paint booth now. The speedo started buzzing real bad last weekend (like a loose cable connection, but that was not the problem) and I found the bushing in the unit at the meter was dry and sticking some. A shot of lube took care of that, but I dove into the lights while I am there.

Wally sells a bulb marked 194ST which says high brightness on the package. First time I can actually read the gauges at night.

JD i have also found some of the Special gauges have just one gauge light and others have 2.

The 76, as in my pics, has 3 warning lights, 78-79 Specials have 2 and should have 2 gauge lights one on top and the other bottom center under the cable drive. Bitch to get in and out.

Back