Straight Pipe Length?

I wouldnt sacrifice performance for the sake of having "straight pipes" Ive got 2 reverse cone mufflers on my 74 and it loves em. As far as being quiet is concerned my buddy could hear me downshift to take the corner 3km from work! Also loud pipes dont save lives, no one in their cage is gonna know where you are unless your right in front of em. You think that dipshit turning left infront of you while listening to ..... whatever it is the kids are listening to these days, can hear you? not unless you pipes are pushing sound forward.

True, but it sure makes you feel better when you down shift and "pass" the jackass that just pulled out in front of you with his window down. Gently going by on the pipe side turning 5,000 RPM. Just don't stand on my right side and start talking without getting my attention first, might not hear you. :doh:

Loud pipes save lives! And if you know how to tune a motor right it will run faster and better with out mufflers. Why do you think dragsters and other racing platforms don't use them..... my 2 cents.

#1 complaint about motorcycles is noise #1 selling aftermarket product is loud exhaust systems .Maybe we are our own worst enemy

Or rest assured my friend, my bike is LOUD and they hear me. Nothing better then the blast by to let 'em know your unimpressed. If someone wants to use straight pipes then that fine, it's just not for me. I think our bikes preform better with a couple cans on the end then with nothing.

Or rest assured my friend, my bike is LOUD and they hear me. Nothing better then the blast by to let 'em know your unimpressed. If someone wants to use straight pipes then that fine, it's just not for me. I think our bikes preform better with a couple cans on the end then with nothing.

I agree. My bikes have something in them now. All the years of riding V-twins with open pipe have made me a tad deaf in my right ear, you live you learn. :confused:

All of my bikes run faster with mufflers ON.

Oh sure, dragsters don't run mufflers but dragsters idle at over 3000 RPM and spend their entire life against the redline or above. Street bikes have to produce torque at 1000 RPM-- can't do that with short and fat open pipes.

As for loud pipes saving lives: You'll notice the oldest and most experienced riders on every forum are the ones telling you to run mufflers. We didn't get to be the oldest and most experienced by being dumb enough to believe that any pipe will save our lives.

Don't know if this helps much but I remember seeing a video once of the guys from Biltwell explaining how to fab some custom straight pipes for an old triumph..like xsleo alluded to, figuring out the length of pipe needed was determined somehow by taking into account the bore & stroke and I'm sure the diameter of the pipe being used. Can't seem to find the video now but it might still be out there somewhere..wish I would have paid better attention the first time around.

Found these pictures of a xs drag bike a couple of weeks ago, this is what he say's about it,

I got that one so it would run 11:80's all day long and it was still 650cc. We had to put a extra washer on the plugs so the pistons did not hit them. Big Valves , 12:1 pistons, Mukuni after market carbs. TT pipes cut to 34" on the out side. Kick start only. It was a 75. And I had a super port and polish job as well as a lot of Advice from Don Vesco.

Attachments

• 129552526727417187.jpg
    129552526727417187.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 158
  • 129566185352401705.jpg
    129566185352401705.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 160
So the key to a fast XS650 is to weigh about 105 pounds with a full leather suit? LOL

Back