Strange question about painting coils.....

Hooligans

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Anyone done this with any success? I have Mikes coils... damn green things. For those who haven't seen my bike I will post it below. Now... these things do not look good with my paint in any way shape or form. I have allready been told not to mount them in the E Bomb tank due to heat issues. I have no starter but my coil is mounted there.... seems like my hiding options are out of the question.

Back to painting.... I know not to use metallic paints (I shouldnt have to explain why). So has anyone had any experience with this?

blackframe.jpg

IMG_1456.jpg

Bike is coming along very nice!! I am not too familiar with painting plastic that will certainly heat, but I would say go for it. Make sure you hit the coil with some fine sand paper prior to painting.

Use the rattle can made for plastics and see what happens. Might stick really well. I know a dash pad can get mucho hot and the plastic paint is engineered for such applications.

:cheers:

hooligans,

Well, I don't know about which paint will stick, but whatever paint you use must be non conductive. I would suggest painting two small pieces of metal plate, allow the paint to dry and them press the plates together with an Ohmmeter connected to each plate. Must be infinite Ohms between the plates.

Then, when you actually paint the coil, do not paint the towers where the rubber boots cover and leave a dime sized area around the primary screw terminals clear of paint as well because the voltage across the terminals spikes to 450 volts with each spark.

Also, leave a dime sized area around the mounting holes clear as well for heat dissipation.

And finally, the coil can get as hot as 130F, so I would use a high temperature paint.

Back