Street Tracker Cobalt. My first custom build... so what better than a XS650 Street Tr

650rmw

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Well first off my name is Chris and second I appreciate all the great information that is on this website!!! So on to how I got here = Restored couple bikes now, 1973 Harley Davidson (Aermacchi) TX 125, 1972 Honda CL100, working on 1976 Bultaco Sherpa T 125 currently. Well tired of restoring stuff to near original condition. Wanted to build a custom bike so what better bike to use for my first custom than a XS650 :thumbsup:.

Seeing how my two friends that own XS650 didn't want to part with theirs, I had to find my own which wasn't hard. Found a 1980 XS650 Special on Craigslist. Picked it up for cheap, only 3600 miles on the ole girl. Hasn't been run in 10 years. Well by the miles must of barely ever been run :D.

So far put her on a diet and stripped her down. To get bike running normal had to replace bad stator, regulator, battery.
Mods so far:
Chrsyler regulator, radio shack rectifier mod.
Boyer Bransden Ignition
VM34 carbs with pod filters and aluminum intake manifolds.
Ground off all unnecessary brackets.
Hydraulic clutch - Honda CBR master and slave.
Renthal superbike type handle bars.
Removed gauge cluster will be replaced with Trail Tech Vapor yet to be installed.
Rear fender with custom CBR600/1000 LED taillight with sequential turn signals.
Minimalist batter
Built own simplified wiring harness.

Runs great so far, but a long ways to go yet.

Pictures can be seen at
http://www.rohrmotorworks.com/Web Gallery/1980 Yamaha XS650/Cobalt/Cobalt.html
website is just for hobby, not business...yet....

Need to add some pictures of the completed elcetrical/battery box with it wired and everything in place. Also need to add pictures of the fender mounted with the new taillight installed.

New clutch plates and springs coming to take care of the clutch slip under high load/rpm.

Soon to come - Omar's High pipes, install Trailtech vapor.

Also have a lead on a XS650 that I will be picking up hopefully tomorrow, customer claims it has 750 engine:thumbsup: which I hope he is right, bike looks complete but no title, only $200, so won't pass up that deal. That will give me another 19" wheel and a engine I can rebuild without putting the bike out of commission :D Rest I can sell for parts and recoup my money easily.

Chris

Last edited:
Gotten a lot of work done on the bike over winter so far. Just recently got 04' GSXR1000 front end put on. Only fraction of pictures are posted on this post, a lot more in my albums.

Bike as I bought it. Only 3650 miles!
full

New carbs and intake manifolds.
full

full

Battery/Electrical box for under seat
full

Radio shack rectifier built w/ computer graphics card heatsink bolted directly beneath it, chrysler regulator, minimalist battery, boyer ignition, fuses.
full

Mid 2000's Honda CBR smoke taillight with sequential turn signals (not hooked up yet)
full

Intake setup
full

GSXR forks mounted, handlebar mounts drilled and mounted, handle bars back on and controls reinstalled.
full

Trail tech Vapor installed
full

Back on its wheels, need new front tire and front brake lines made (done) just waiting on tire now to go ride, used one that came with wheel is unrideable
full

Added LED strip for license plate light
full

If you want to see more, there are a lot more pictures in the album under my name.

Going for more of a street tracker with a modern touch to it.

Big things to do yet: change rear swingarm, wheel, brake setup, different rear shocks, high exhaust. Then will see where I sit budget wise wether want to go 750 repahase.

Thanks for looking!
Spring fever setting in :D

Nice gsxr conversion.....mind if i ask what was involved to put gixxer front end on ? Im a noob and agree...this site has soooo much valueable info.....THANKS to all !!!!

Unfortunately not, she is rideable for now but far from what it looks like in my head. Shes on the backburner for right now till winter, got a dirt bike project soaking up my funds right now. So it will be a while.

Thanks for checking in though!

Back