street tracker rear fender/seat/tail light

tompac

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Gathering parts for a street tracker build. looking for advice regarding which fender/light/seat combo to buy. what vendors are good to deal with, quality, fit. ect. i plan to use the stock tank, and i may or may not be interested in a unit with built in number plates. thanks for any input

Tom,
I have an XR style seat from Omar's. It looks great, nice gelcoat finish. However, the seat cushion is very hard and also narrow. I doubt I can do more than an hour on a bike with a seat like that, especially with stock footpeg position, as all the weight will be on your ass. With mild rearsets, somewhere around the footpeg mounting studs, it may become a bit more bearable. If you plan on any long rides, perhaps a "scrambler" kind of look, using a SR500 seat from Motolanna would be a better choice. Their "Classic" seat is wide enough to fit over the frame, and just short enough to let the frame loop show. If you have a "later" model (74 onwards?), you will have to cut off the seat latch/lock housing, and possibly the hinges also. With a short alloy rear fender and smaller taillight and indicator lights, it should look good to, IMHO.

Not sure if you are looking for the seat with a combo already put together similar to the omars... but i make seats for the xs. Just a shameless plug...

Some customers bikes...

XS5.jpg

unnamed.png

Chris+BIke+003.jpg

XS+Tracker+03.jpg

Chris+Xs+650+002.jpg

TRacker+Black+Red+Diamond+002.jpg

Xs+650+Seat+Bottom+01.jpg

I bought the Omars fender with the tail light about a month ago. I really like the fender and the seat, the tail light/lic bracket is really nice too.
The construction of the tank and fender I got are heavy duty and a super nice finish.
I think it has really good foam on the seat, maybe they changed the foam but I think its comfortable. I know they have the fender with the number panel or without.
Buying from Omars Fiberglass was great they had the stuff in stock and shipped it to me right away. They sent mounting hardware and instructions. I have never built a bike so that helped me out a lot. Good luck with your Street Tracker..

Not sure if you are looking for the seat with a combo already put together similar to the omars... but i make seats for the xs. Just a shameless plug...
Some customers bikes...
XS+Tracker+03.jpg

Hi westonboege,
nice work.
I have to say that's the first bike I have ever seen that carried an ironing board.

Haha... an ironing board! I never thought of that... mostly for ironing beer!

I could make a shorty style one... Could look rad like that..

I just emailed Omars asking about buying just a seat pad from them for a used XRWS fender I have. He asked why I needed just a seat. He stated people copy their products. I told him the used one I have is damaged and not usable. Jeff Quinn replied they have no extras- would put my name on a back order list and he has no idea when the seats would be available. I really like Omars thicker firmer seat pad and am ready to buy one. I belive they think my motivation is to copy them. I simply want a seat pad from them!!

Weston,
Those seats look nice. However, I wish I could get a similar seat that covers the frame rails, but leaves the loop visible, and retain the stock hinges and seat lock. Then it would be a bit wider and comfier too. Since the sidecovers are really wide anyway, it would only be beneficial. I am fully aware that this would be a way more complicated pan to fabricate, though.....

Weston,
Those seats look nice. However, I wish I could get a similar seat that covers the frame rails, but leaves the loop visible, and retain the stock hinges and seat lock. Then it would be a bit wider and comfier too. Since the sidecovers are really wide anyway, it would only be beneficial. I am fully aware that this would be a way more complicated pan to fabricate, though.....

Sorta like this? Does not retain hinges and lock, but IMO the trade off is worth it. For now it actually is merely held by the front tangs under the tank. This is for SR500, and I think it actually fits the XS650 better on the SR500 you have to shave the rails for a similar fit.

20140909_160644.jpg

I've got one of them seats on mine and they look great. I'm fixing it at the back with a bracket I welded on the rear loop for the mudguard. Gonna bolt it straight through from underneath up into the seat.

photo353_zpsfa0e63ae.jpg

photo435_zpsf2d1d7f9.jpg

I've not finished it yet but when the seat is fitted you can only see about an inch of the bracket. Sorta looks like it should be there.

Maurice,
is that a MotoLanna SR seat? I have one of those too, but somehow it looks a bit small on my 1977 Standard. Maybe because of the bigger tank than your Special. I quite like it, but could not make myself cut off the seat lock and hinges. Always thought it would be nice to be able to swap back to the stock seat for 2 up touring. So maybe it finds a home on a Suzuki 125 I originally modified for my youngest son.

Yes that's the seat. Next one I'll try is the same from Nitroheads for the SR. We'll see how quality differs, although the Motolanna is surprisingly good, and mine has seen some abuse...

Back