Stretch and Drop of a hardtail.

bkemptattoo

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to order one of the straight David Bird hardtails, but my dilemma is that I'm not sure what drop and stretch. I see a bunch of photos that seem very inconsistent with one another as far as stretch (one "zero" looks way longer than the other, etc.), which I'm more concerned with the stretch than the drop.
I want my backbone to be straight and flush to the rear axle plates, but I want very little stretch. I'm thinking between 0 and 2.5 inches. For any of you who have run that short of a stretch (with a STRAIGHT backbone), what has that come to put your drop at?

To add, I'm not very concerned with the height of the bottom rail from the ground, because I'm running a long springer, just short of 40 inches, and the frame will sit pretty tall in the front, regardless. I'm going for more of a radical 70s chopper look, not the brat or frisco style. Thank you!

Last edited:
#1 and #2 are 4" stretch 2" lower #3 is 6" stretch 4" lower

Attachments

• 2015 BUILD OFF 012.jpg
    2015 BUILD OFF 012.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 974
  • craig's bike 048.jpg
    craig's bike 048.jpg
    303.2 KB · Views: 712
  • s&s supper B 069.jpg
    s&s supper B 069.jpg
    282.5 KB · Views: 499
Those are all kinda strange builds. That middle one has such large tins and seat that it looks like a children's to, in my opinion. Not here to knock other folks' taste in bikes, but they seem so bulky that it makes even the engine look tiny and disproportioned, so these are difficults examples to follow.
The one on the left is the best example. Thank you!

This is an XS1B that was stretched 3.5". The early model swingarms were about 2" shorter than post-73 models, so by comparison it would equal a 1.5" stretch on the later models. The rear axle in this pic is slid all the way rearward, so imagine it slid forward 1" ~ 1-1/2". Not much drop, maybe about 1".

Attachments

• XS1B-Chop.jpg
    XS1B-Chop.jpg
    289.3 KB · Views: 567
That's good to know! And that bike has a more similar stance to what I'm looking for, though the front of my frame will sit tall with such a long front end and stock rake.
Thank you.
Other than the stock swingarm having been shorter, is the general frame otherwise the same?

ok here's 2 with smaller tanks 1 cookie cutter sporty tank and 1 with a wassell both are 4" and 2"

Attachments

• Picture 2 001.jpg
    Picture 2 001.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 378
  • 2015 build off bike 001.jpg
    2015 build off bike 001.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 378
Back