Stripped BS 38 float bowl screws

galt987

XS650 Member
Reaction score
It seems my float bowl screws are stripped out. I've never used a tap before. Anyone know what tap size I should use or have any suggestions to get around having to tap these?

Sorry, I should have explained this better. I can remove the screws, it's the threads on the carb that are stripped so the screws won't torque. I need to get those threads fixed or somehow figure out how to tighten the float bowl to the carbs so they don't leak gas.

I think he means the threads. Helicoil kit is best. On a few, depending on their location and what's above the hole, if anything, a longer bolt w/nut on top will work.

To drill and tap larger may cause you problems down the road. Thin walls and larger heads on the next size screw. You can heli-coil back to the original size. You need a bottom tap. A regular tap will bottom out before it makes good threads.
see pic.

Attachments

• DSC00100.jpg
    DSC00100.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 165
  • DSC00101.jpg
    DSC00101.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 174
Alright, I checked out the process on youtube. Doesn't look too hard but I'm having trouble locating a store that carries a 4mm helicoil kit. Any suggestions?

Something in the past I have done,and had luck with when the item you are fixing is small is using JB Weld on the damaged threads,letting it cure,then running the desired thread screw through it.(as long as there is some resemblence of the old threads).
The JB Weld is strong as metal,but will allow the screw to cut new threads.

Now common sence has to prevail here,you would not do this repair ,then start tightening the repaired screw like there was no tomorrow,but if you can get it tight enough to function properly and it gets you out of a jam,it's all good.

I know some of you who read this are rolling your eyes.I know this sounds like a "greasy","put a band-aid on it" repair,but I have done this 2 for 2 on small items with excellent results still used today!

I think i managed to stop my major leakage at the float bowl, for now at least, by using some smaller diameter screws with nuts on top. It turned out that only two of the four screws in question were stripped. However, when I had the carbs off i decided to replace the fuel line linking the two float bowls. When i pulled this line off one of the brass fittings that connects to the float bowl pulled out with the line. I put it back in and snugged it up as much as I could by hand. Now I have a small amount of gas leaking from that fitting. Does this fitting just need to be tapped in harder with a hammer or is there some better way of sealing it? Skips quote 'I'll fix it rill it's broke' seems quite appropriate here... As this is kind of a different problem, if this should be a new thread let me know.

It's just a pressed in fit so tap it in some more - but gently. If it still leaks, I would pull it and apply some sort of gasket sealer to it before re-installing.

Back