Stripped carb bowl screw

CalsXS2

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
I just rebuilt my 38's. Upon re-assembly, I could tell one screw just went in too far. Sure enough, it stripped right out. What are you guy's doing for a fix. Heli-coil maybe. If so, what size. Or, what other fixes are there. Thanks.

i ran into the same problem but just took the lock washer off the screw which made it long enough to catch some threads deeper in the hole and used some red lock tight...

Unfortunately it is the only screw hole I can't put a nut behind. There's not enough room. I have 2 thread's. I'm going to see if I can get a little longer screw and hope for the best.

Attachments

• xs 052.jpg
    xs 052.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 304
Unfortunately, that's one of the hardest screw holes on these carbs to repair. I use heli-coils but with the choke right above that hole, you can't get the tap through enough. You might need the special bottoming tap for that hole.

Take care when choosing a screw length for that hole. Stock were M4 x 12s but they don't reach quite all the way through. Next size available is 14 but that can stick through too far on that hole (it's OK on the other 3) and hit the choke before getting the bowl tight. I cut down 16s to about 13 to get just the right length needed. I use stainless Allens.

Use a torch to melt some aluminum or brass in a ceramic crucible and pour it in the hole.

This sounds greasy,but it does work.
Ideally you would use a screw that has good threads.Clean the screw and the hole in which you are repairing with Brake Kleen or carb cleaner.
Apply JB weld on the screw and use a small nail to run some on the inside of the hole.
Insert the screw till it is fully seated,Let cure for 24 hours.
After it is cured,remove screw and repeat.But when inserting screw tighten till tight,but don't wail right on to it.
I have repaired a stripped out float bowl screw with this method with great succss!

I actually just used a 8-32 screw. It screwed right in, made it's own thread's, and all is well. It screwed down tight too. Believe me, I made sure it wouldn't strip.

Back