Stripped thread on muffler mount

essexboydave

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've discovered a stripped thread on the left hand muffler mounting stud, the one that's part of the frame just behind the footpeg :( Anyone got any good ideas about fixing this?

I assume you mean the rear footpeg. If so my 75 had one. I have a set of metric tap & die set. I just rethreaded it to 12x1.50. That's the size of a lot of lug nuts. They come in chrome and many different looks.
I just ground the tapered part off the lug nut so it has a flat area to use a lock washer.
Leo

I assume you mean the rear footpeg. If so my 75 had one. I have a set of metric tap & die set. I just rethreaded it to 12x1.50. That's the size of a lot of lug nuts. They come in chrome and many different looks.
I just ground the tapered part off the lug nut so it has a flat area to use a lock washer.
Leo
That saves me from asking what size lug I need . ( I took my pass pegs off when I put my 2 into 1 on and I have a threaded stud on the left side just sitting there that needs covered . )

The stock thread isn't 12 x 1.50. It's a bit bigger. I think it's 12.5 or 13 x 1.25 or there abouts, it's a finer thread.
Easy to rethread to the 12 x 1.50.
Leo

It's a 12mm fine thread as stock, I hadn't thought of recutting the thread to M12 standard-I'll think I might even have an M12 die kicking around too, cheers :)

Yes, It might be a 12mm fine thread stud. I never even thought about it. I just grabbed the die that seemed to fit the stud, I didn't realize the difference in the threads until after I was done.
Turning out the be the same as lug nuts was just a happy coincidence.
Another thing is that the new threads don't have to be that great. That nut dosen't need to be very strong. It just keeps things from rattling. The stud is what supports the weight of the muffler.
Leo

To be honest I only know it's a fine thread as I went out and bought two new nuts today, I'd only really looked at the right hand one but when I went to fit the left hand side I realised the thread was stripped! I've only just bought this bike and it's been stood for a few years so I guess I'm probably going to find more things like this along the way!

Back