Struggling with the xs carbs rebuilt have spark

Zyamahaz

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey everyone so I've had my xs for 2 yrs but before that last person had it since new. Very well kept but when I bought it they said it stopped starting maybe 2yrs prior. So I bought it got it home checked everything cleaned tank emptied carbs new battery, nothing, got the pamco system finally got spark but only sputters with starting fluid, thought carbs need rebuilding buddy that races bikes and fixes them rebuilt the whole carb system new seals and everything even he was not getting it to start same problems sputtering with starting fluid...any body have any ideas we could try he's going to keep working with me to get this turd running..any ideas will work. Thanks Adam

If the carbs have been thoroughly cleaned and you are able to get it to spit and spudder for a short while before it dies on you, and if you have a points bike, check your timing. Sounds like it may be off. Also make sure to check all valve clearances and make sure they are in spec, check cam chain tension as well.

So I have spark by removing the advancer cap and spinning the rod. Should the motor be at tdc or if I spin the pamco plate that adjusts timing I took it apart and just made sure I installed it properly....something is not making sense...what does everyone else think??going back to my first post; complete carb rebuild, stock coil pack wire for wire on the blue pamco box ,fresh gas, not running air filters right now until it starts new battery........help

Take your fuel line going to your carbs from the tank, put your peacock to prime, make sure a steady flow comes out, put it to on, suck on the vacuum port on the petcock and make sure a steady stream comes out. Also probably before doing anything, you need to figure out if it's a timing, ignition or fuel issue.

So I got the thing running good, starts up fine starter sounds like it's grinding but I got the kickstart took it out for the first time runs smooth but now upon accelerating it putts and shutters, shift gears and it stops all the above but once roll on the throttle it putts and shutters again.....any one got any ideas..thanks

Zy, great that it is now a running test ride ! I've found that the CV carbs as well as the rest need to get out and run for a bit. Sputtering could likely be caused by the carbs not freely working yet. After watching many owners threads I've noticed many barely get going and start faulting things. I personally believe it takes more miles and patience to determine faults. I would double check simple things. I'd drain the carb bowls again. look at the plugs and prob check valve clearances. Clean electrical. I have a kick start routine and consider my starter a back up.. (they sound bad anyway) Run it easy at least 20 miles and then evaluate it ? Hope you enjoy your bike ! Most of us like you have had to figure out where to start wrenching .. -RT

For the hard starting....................you should remove the float bowls from the carbs, and confirm that the very small orifice
(starter/choke jet), which is at the bottom of the bowl, is in fact totally clear.
You should ask your buddy that did the carb work, if he tested that the floats in the carbs are air tight, and if he set the floats to the correct float height.
In a thread like this, you should always state the year of the bike, and what type carbs you have. Do the carbs have the stock jets??

Sorry it's an 83 with the BS34mm carbs or the 5V4 we took the carbs off the bike after I got it running and found some sediment in the pilot jet? We remeasured the flow height too....cold start still needs a shot of ether after that starts first kick but that surging or shuttering is kind of annoying I'm going to run it on the center stand and see if it does it too....and all rebuilt parts are stock nothing upgraded

Your buddy the worked on your carbs may not have had the required knowledge to do a proper job. The fact that you have to use starting fluid for a cold engine, makes it obvious that the carb choke circuit is not working. At this point you should assume that the carbs have not been checked properly by your buddy. You and your friend should both spend time reading the Carb Guide in the TECH section. Finding dirt in the jets....................appears they were not checked before, or your fuel tank is quite rusty??

I have to Agree with RG !
My bike did the same thing ! these carbs arn't your run of the mill Mulkini carb their diferent with totally a diferent cleaning stragity !
My bike would Only start with lots of quick-start.... and would only run on one cylinder which it would pick up from mid range RPM and up
but at idle it would not fire on 2 cylinders !
after 3 complete teardowns I finally discovered why... the choke/enricher curcuit was totally plugged in the carb float bowls...in both carbs!
the hole in the float bowl does indeed go through to the bottom of the float bowl it took a drill bit and a sharp wire to get them to open up
once I got that opened the carb cleaner would go through to the bottom of the float bowl past that odd angle in the metal but not before.
once that was done the float level is very critical on these carbs ! ... and the Idle jet circuit is a bear to clean as well....
I pulled the idle/air screws and carefully saved the tiny O-ring and brass washer they sit on.... and purged the entire system with carb cleaner
put it back together and set the idle/air screws to 3 turns out from their seat (these screws are infront of the CV towers covered by a brass plug
I had to drill a 1/8" hole in the plugs and use a drywall screw to remove the plugs.
once set at 3 turns out the bike started starting on it's own with just the use of the choke but it still wanted to drop a cylinder
I then did the "Dead cylinder adjustment" found in the tech section under carburators and then it finally ran properly
the carb syncronization I also did at that time.... then it started and ran like a new machine.....
Hope that helps !
Bob...........

Back