Stuck cam follower pin / rollers

Metal

XS650 Custom shop
Reaction score
I'm hoping some one has had the same problem and has a tool or idea of how to remove the cam follower pins for the selector drum. I have the cotter pins out and two of the three just won't fall out. I've used picks and snap ring pliers with no luck. Help! image.jpg

Well you have my sympathy....
Perhaps try compressed air, trying to get a bit of pressure behind it? Spray some carb cleaner to reduce the surface tension from the oil?
Chuck a bolt in a drill hold the head against the selector to vibrate the pin out.
These took me a bit to get out also. But don't remember what actually worked.

Try removing the small shaft first, the one that the shift forks pivot on.This will give you better access to the pins. Also maybe try screwing a wood screw into the small hole finger tight, this will give you a little handle to pull on.

I was thinking a 'rare earth magnet', very strong and available at most Home Hardware stores, with a short 1/4" length of steel rod just smaller than the pin diameter.

Might be just enough pull strength with a little wiggling to get it out.

Also rotate the drum to see if there might be a loose spot or side forces to help dislodge the pin.

I used a straight fluted screw extractor and tapped it on with a brass hammer. Also, they don't need to be completely removed to get the drum/fork out. The one in your picture should have enough clearance to slide off the drum.

I got them out thanks guys. Ended up removing the small rod as advised and taping the hole then inserting a machine screw in a small slide hammer. Came right out!

Back