stuck clutch

xswisconsin

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all,
I am having trouble with my clutch and would like to know where to start. I am rebuilding an 81 xs. the clutch is hard to pull and will not disengage the transmision. It hasn't run for a while, my dad had it for the past 7 years and didn't run it much.

One of the most common causes is a bad or bound up clutch cable. You need to lube the cable (using motor oil) pretty much on a yearly basis. Then, the cable should be routed with no tight bends or kinks. With little use in 7 years, I would say that cable is long overdue for a good oiling.

One of the most common causes is a bad or bound up clutch cable. You need to lube the cable (using motor oil) pretty much on a yearly basis. Then, the cable should be routed with no tight bends or kinks. With little use in 7 years, I would say that cable is long overdue for a good oiling.

The cable does need a bit of oiling but I had that apart and it seemed to move without issue. the problem seems that it is hard to push the rod into the clutch.

By hand, it is very hard to push the rod in, pretty near impossible, so that would be normal. You need the leverage provided by the hand lever and worm gear lever.

Once you've done that, i.e., making sure that the cable and mechanism is free, it could be that the steel plates and fiber disks are bound together by corrosion. To fix that and get them released you can warm up the bike in neutral. Shut the bike off and get it into 1st gear. Start the bike in first and chances are the shock will allow separation. If not hit your kill switch!

Disclaimer: I have done this for manual transmission cars but not on a bike.

Back