Stuck filter housing bolt (Heiden cooler mod) - SOLVED

Splexin

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So after spending the day installing my new hydraulic clutch conversion kit (which works great btw :thumbsup: ), I decided to go ahead and change my oil since I am getting ready for a short roadtrip next week.

I have the Heiden oil filter/cooler mod and have never had any troubles with it. I successfully removed one housing bolt....however, the right side bolt won't budge! These are hexhead bolts and easily rounded out. :banghead:

If the stuck bolt had been on the left side I think I could've gotten one side out and unscrew the other with the actual aluminum piece. But no, it couldn't possibly be that easy for me :laugh:

I had previously bought one of those screw/bolt extractor kits for these types of situations (had same issue on brushes screws), but to my surprise and no avail the bolt will still not budge! I'm recharging my drill right now to see if a power boost would help. The head is too far in to cut a notch with a dremel, and I've done my share of trying to bang in a screwdriver slot. Can't even take off the side of the engine cover because the cooler block one of the bolts.

If I get desperate enough I may just saw into the metal down to the bolt head to cut the notch and turn the bolt out.....but that would ruin a beautiful oil cooler and I'm not feeling charitable since I just ordered other non-related parts.

Any suggestions? Keep trying with the bolt extractor?

P.S. No access to welding etc stuff so can't try those solutions :shrug:

Last edited:
try a mapp gas torch? is alittle hotter than propane.

Can't believe it, I finally got it out with the bolt extractor! It took me running a fully-charged high power drill at its fastest setting and me pressing into the bolt with all my energy and force to do it. I'm not a wimpy dude or tired codger......I am young and muscular. If I would've pressed any harder the drill probably would've snapped in two. Whew. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the suggestion.... unfortunately gas torch wasn't in my inventory either.

Anti-seize compound (or Locktite) on Japanese nuts and bolts is a must. The high silicone content of Japanese aluminum makes it corrode faster than higher quality aluminum. Japanese forged "lead" nuts and bolts don't help either.

In the old days (before allen head) you simply could not work on a Japanese bike without an impact driver to break free the screws and bolts.

Back