Heiden Tuning Oil Filter Kit

Since our engine runs on such low oil pressure, what is the detriment of a paper filter? It’s probably fine, but I’m sticking with the wire mesh filter.

Since our engine runs on such low oil pressure, what is the detriment of a paper filter? It’s probably fine, but I’m sticking with the wire mesh filter.
The question is then, what part of the lubrication system actually determines the pressure. No pump will create any pressure unless there is a restriction to flow. Pumps of similar design an the XS pump will deliver oil at much higher pressure, in plain bearing engines.
Now, I do not remember where the pressure limiting valve is in the XS engine. If it is AFTER the filter, then I cannot see any problem. If it is before the filter, ther may be a slight possibility of reduced pressure after the filter, that is if the valve ever opens.

I went 57,000 miles on OE screens. On top end redo, no overbore. That said, for my purposes, the paper filter is not necessary.
You definitely have a point there. I assume you changed the oil fairly frequently then? Maybe a paper filter will allow less frequent oil changes?

I like the Heiden Tuning comment about the sump filter "EASY TO CHECK IT THROUGH THE DRAIN PLUG HOLE!". I my question is "How did you get oil in your eye?"

Did anyone else notice the oil temperature indicator on the oil filler cap? See the photo in the first link in Entry #1.

See: https://www.heidentuning.com/xs650-...-temperature-gauge-dipstick-black-detail.html

I know there was a guy making these here a while ago and I believe this is where mine came from. I can’t confirm how accurate it is as I havnt finished run the bike yet, it does look cool.

Also not sure if you would really see a dramatic rise in the oil temp at the dipstick before the engine blew up. Again, it looks cool haha.

would be interesting to see if different oils give a significantly different readings.

D083658B-77EE-4DEE-AF87-889C1AEC9A49.png

Back