Heiden tuning sump filter.

I do have faith in that cylindrical strainer from Heiden tuning. The oem oil strainer on 90's Ducatis are about the same size and shape, although they screw in on the RH side of the crankcases. And I never had one fail after riding 2 Ducatis over 120 000 km. This talk about Yamaha engineers creating the optimal strainer sometime in the 60's is frankly BS. Especially as just these strainers are known to fail.

www.650central.com
Racer's Deep Sump Extension Kit

1705617682638.png

This one is so deep you could cut two or three ML 1" extensions out of it.
I've said it before and GLJ did also, it's a screen to keep big chunks out of the oil pump. Fine filtering belongs upstream GLJ: "Don't you mean downstream? After the pump."

Last edited:
There are more aspects than fail .. There is also the fluid aspect of it at many different Temperatures. Cold starts
Maybe different oils
These are experts Yamaha .. Many years Practice .. But having said that they sometimes save money getting a bad design
In this case they have noticed it but not redesigned Which is the normal Practice .

I Have worked at VOLVO the company gets feed back from the field. Many thousands reports from many markets
Many problems from different markets
And for every year model there is Improvements. The later models have fewer faults than the earlier
Professionals are thinking it over and change it if possible
That has not happened here and then the questions arises Why Not ? A company having manufactured say 1000 different bikes
Normally there would have been a redesign first year it came reported back from the dealers ..
Not doing it is sending signals of something not making it simple.

I have not looked into it but a restriction on the suction line can make a pump go dry more turns .And wear it out sooner
Maybe losing oil feed .and more damage
In fact the burst in the mesh filter opens up for fluid. Should it clog up I can see that happen with few Oil Changes
Saving the engine should the filter gets clogged Who knows.
The factory is normally 10 x better than almost anyone else ,, Pros . . Rarely a small firm not having the experience and resources can do it better
I admit it looks strange I Dont Know Japanese Attitudes but On VOLVO the one in charge in the House was the best expert in the Nation.

Computer is mentioned that is not possible .Because setting up the model is very difficult

The deep sump has the problem that there are more particles nearer to the bottom
If Oils is taken there

Whilst oil being flung around by the crank and gears could be a problem, don't forget, the sump filter is completely emersed under the oil, dampening the effect of the ebb and flow of oil, I think oil being flung aroumd and damaging the filter would a minor problem, rather being flung aroumd the oil would be moved aroumd in a fashion similar to a washing machime.,

Consider: Oil is at its thickest when cold. And when oil sits, contaminants will settle to the bottom. Being as its only the flimsy straight mesh on the filter that is damaged, Cold, thick oil, rich with debris at its lowest point (around the filter) would be a primary cause. Cold starting with dirty oil, add in a swishing motion, perhaps this is the recipe.

I personally don't like the idea of an extension to the sump plate, it provides a reservoir for oil thick with debris to collect, and being such a small area amd well below the crank its doubtful this oil would mix freely with the oil above. Perhaps with very frequent oil changes it may be of benefit, but who wants to change their oil every 5 minutes.

Just my two bobs worth.

The stock screen sits on standoffs about 5mm? off the floor of the sump plate. There is usually a black film/layer on that surface when I remove and clean the screen. Carbon from combustion that settles out? prolly, maybe some clutch friction plate dust. There's a fence that keeps a pool of oil in the transmission sump no way to clean that sump. If the oil is changed on at least a semi regular basis I've never seen a layer of "thick oil". But I tend to change the oil with the motor at least warm.

Last edited:
For anyone interested in making their own Heiden style oil pump inlet strainer, there's lots of suitable pump inlet strainers out there. The mesh seems to be commonly 125 micron. I wouldn't use one with plastic end caps, but there's many suitable strainers out there of all metal construction that could be used. Below is just the first hit Google came up with to illustrate what I'm saying. If you have the tools to make the adapter piece, selecting a strainer and adapting it is simple enough.

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/pneu...luids-filtration/hydraulic-suction-strainers/

It’s been a while since I installed the Heiden Sump screen but iirc the screen was not threaded onto the adaptor. I recall it had a rubber grommet that was pushed onto a barb on the adaptor. I would have preferred a threaded mount. Wonder why they did it that way?

Back