stuck in reverse!

-cub-

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I came across a something the other night and i don't know if its just something vie never noticed before or a problem.

I went to park up on the side of the road, i was in first gear, came to a stop, pulled in my clutch and went to push the bike back (engine still running at the time) and the bike just wouldn't budge. Exactly like it would trying to push it while in gear with the engine off.

Is this normal or do i have a problem?? :confused:

Had that once, I concluded it was due to running an 18 tooth front sprocket and too loose a chain (not silly loose) - I took up the slack and it was OK. Never had the problem running a 17 tooth sprocket even with a loose chain.

Might be your problem. Or your clutch is dragging...

cheers guys. already tried adjusting the clutch cable and hasn't made any difference. it was only the second run the bike has had since being finished so could be that the chain has loosened up a bit? i'll check it out. thanks

I had that same problem on my '81. About 25% of the time it would roll back normally, the rest as you describe. I opened up my clutch and found that the sight hole in the pressure plate wasn't lined up with the mark on the basket. Fixing that, plus taking all the plates out and manually separating them, plus new oil fixed it. It was winter so the oil was 15w-40, with about 1200 mi. While it was having that problem the clutch was perfectly normal every other way. And it just sort of came out of the blue.

Back