Stuck, stripped valves

shade

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I have an xs650 that has not run in a long long time. I removed the carburetors to clean them out and found that two of the valves (the valves that are visible on the top side of the carbs) are stuck and someone stripped them trying to get them out.

Is there any way I can remove these valves?

Shade which carbs are they? Anything can be removed....one way or another
C'mon kop you know the valves on the top of the carbs.:D By any other name a choke is a valve?:shrug:

Do you mean the slides under the diaphrams? No I think something else. ...
Ooh the mystery.....

Sorry, if you can't tell I am very new to this. I was able to get a 74 CB550 going that was in worse shape than this bike so I wanted to try again with XS650. Unfortunately the bike is about 1.5 hours away so I get to it when I can. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Attachments

• xs650carb.JPG
    xs650carb.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 80
Ouch those are 82 83 BS34's from a heritage special, plastic floats, handle bar choke. Your idle air mixture screws are stripped and jammed pretty bad. A good carb guy can probably get them out. But many more would ruin the bodies trying. I would be willing to take a shot at removing them if you want to ship them to me.

If you have the patience of a saint and wanted to try it yourself I can do a how to. But I am not kidding, this requires a lot of patience and (ahem) skill. If any frustration shows up they will get worse not better.
While it often works to drill and easy out a screw, in this case it's not the best way to go, the easy out is more likely to EXPAND the brass jet making it more stuck, than it is to remove it.

Yes I cracked a carb body at this jet proving the easy out is not the hot tip. It was a crap body anyways, the throttle plates were corroded so bad they wouldn't turn. More as an experiment than fix.

Has the plug even been remove on the right carb?
Looks like the plug is still there to me.
I would
Turn them over and remove the pilot jet.
Fill the pilot jet circuit with carb cleaner and position where the carb cleaner will stay there to soak.
Get a small left turn drill bit chuck it up in a hand chuck like the tap chuck in a tap and die set every now and then putting pressure on the screw to see if it will give.
I've never tried heat but several have posted success heating things up so the varnish will get soft.
Like gggGary said patience is key here. You basically have trashed carbs. Some would be able to refurbish, some wouldn't. In the mean time you may want to look for a good pair of carbs.

I wondered about the plug too, but blew the pic up really big and it appears to be out.

If the plug was still there you wouldn't see the brass color of the mangled mix screw.
I might do both. Get another set of carbs as well as send your to gggGary.
Having a few spare parts is never a bad thing.
If you develope running issues having a good set of carbs to swap is a quick easy trouble shooting step.
Leo

I do have a lot of patience when it comes to this and would really like to get these out if I can. I did order another set of carburetors but the idle adjustment is totally sheered off, so I think it's useless. I was going to take parts from that set and use it on these.
I planned on selling this bike and using the money to finish the CB550 but it might not be worth it.

Back