Stupid clutch/1st gear jerk question

ember

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I just got my XS running after being torn apart. I noticed that when I engage 1st gear, it seems to "pop" into gear or jerk a bit. Not a smooth shift. Is this normal on the XS? Or is it a clutch adjustment problem?
I have had dirt bikes in the past do this, but I want to be certain I am not going to screw up the clutch/bearings. Other gears seem fairly normal other than the occasional missed gear when shifting, so clutch needs a little fine adjusting yet.

Completely normal for every motorcycle. Make sure your idle is 1200 RPM or less and that your clutch pushrod adjustment is correct as well as the perch adjustment.

If you think it's abnormally bad or continues to get worse, you may want to check the damper springs on the back of the clutch hub. The 650 doesn't damp it's driveline snatch with a rubber mounted rear sprocket like most bikes. It uses those springs on the back of the clutch hub - and they can break.

Around 1980, Yamaha updated the clutch pack adding a spring-loaded bottom plate to damp engagement. This newer clutch engages much smoother than the old style and is easier on those hub springs.

Back